Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Trophy 164

Banned
    Grip and handling are not the same thing though. The grip you gain with wide tyre in the dry often causes lack of grip in the wet. Handling is how the car behaves, not just how much grip it has. If it was as easy as sticking wider tyres on a car to imrove handling, all the hatches would have truck tyres on them.

Yep. Handling is so much more and without feedback (a la 172) handling is poor.

Forum User
    not the same but related to a point, i think 182s have 205 as standard so maybe renault realised the error of their ways! i was warned that it might aquaplane more but tbh i didnt experience any of it! wider tyres slow u a bit too but as mine was chipped and tooned so it prob gave it better traction off the line if ne thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Swervin_Mervin
    I suppose that's true if you're buying new. Only mugs buy new though! Better spending £15k on a far superior car that's done all it's depreciating IMO.
    The trouble is though, if you spend £15k on a car that was once worth, say, £40k, then you're going to have the running costs (or worse, as it's older) of a £40k car. Most people who buy a £40k car can afford those costs, but for someone who has scrapped together £15k, running it would be way too much.

So buying new isn't really that stupid.

.... Saying that, I'd still have an E39 M5 if I had just over 15 grand :P

have any of u haters actually driven a 172 round a track? handling is definately not poor

I'm not a Mk2 Clio hater by any stretch of the imagination, I think they're great cars, but I've driven a 172 P2 around a track, a 182 Cup for a 5 mile blast (not very telling, I'll admit!), and they're not as much fun as the Williams. Still a laugh and very capable, but they're not quite as adjustable, not as neutral, not as flowing, and not as playful. They're a bit one dimensional in that respect, they prefer to just understeer, instead of drift.

Couldn't tell you what was quicker, as I didn't have a stop watch, but I'd guess there's nothing in it.

Banned
    We never said handling was poor. Except the mk1 172's. They are shit.

Aye. NEver said the 172 was poor handling per se, but IMO having driven a mk2 172 I don't like the lack of feedback compared to the valver.

I actually am still thinking about getting a mk1 172 as it happens as a daily tool.

Quote Originally Posted by King Stromba
    We never said handling was poor. Except the mk1 172's. They are shit.
    lol. So true. I aired the same opinion on Cliosport and got well and truly flamed by the Mk1 172 owners. lol.

I'll admit the mk2 isn't perfect, but the ph1 172 is soft and wallowly by comparison.

I would'nt say the 172 gives you no feedback - far from it - but it's never going to be as pure an experience as a Mk1. It's not possible for a new car imho.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Clart
    have any of u haters actually driven a 172 round a track? handling is definately not poor
    not driven one round a track but i had one for 6 week or more lol but shhh dont tell the owner i thrashed it about!!

they do handle well but imo it was better to drive on motorway then the williams and worse on back roads, not that it dont handle just lacks feel compared to the williams imo