solid top mounts

i am wondering if any companies do solid top mounts for use with clio mk1 front suspension struts?

what i mean is rather than use the shitty floating arangement, upgrade to a fixed turret like other cars have. eg honda civics, etc etc etc

i know there is a kit for 172's etc, but does anyone know anywhere that does/could do them for mk1 clios?

there has to be loads of benifit to having these, not least a fixed camber position, lack of movement over bumps where the strut can literally move position....

thoughts?

these are how ive done it on my car. This spherical bearing, camber adjustable top-mounts were for a nissan :D

I have done nearly the same as "Stan", spherical bearing, camber adjustable top-mounts. But top mounts were for Mazda 323, they are 4 bolts, so I have made special 3mm plate and welded it to top of tower. With Stans design you do not need that as "triangle" fits better to original tower. Mine is however mounted "under" tower so there will not be issue with bolts fail, maybe it's not an issue.

You may check different makers, but I found D2 to be good quality and moderate price, paid something like 100GBP for two mounts incl. bearings and fittings for schock. Sorry, can't post pics now as I am not at home this week.

Are the turrets strong enough to take solid top mounts?

It always amazes me that they never get damaged with the amound of abuse they take!

Forum User
    yes but stan's will be triangulated into his cage...

but would be fine anyway...can be strengthened up if your rallying lots though

^^aye

in that top pic ive posted, you can see a hole on the bulk head in the left, behind the turret...the cage is coming through there and tieing into the outer side of the turret.

Adjustable spherical Top mounts are always best fitted under the turret, any bolt failure then the shock goes throught the bonnet... less damage if it goes wrong.

Funny you should say that, I was thinking omething similar lastnight. My logic was if its underneath the forces/loading during cornering will be transmitted into the shell, as opposed to putting the 3 bolts into tension if its on top.

easily swapped lol