Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Engine Rebuild/Refurb proj in summer

Okay,as some of u know i want to refurb the engine in the summer (prob end of). Now i have a family member who is a mechanic who will help me with this project, so im not sure whether to source a new engine or rebuild mine. some ppl have said lightend and balanced b/e does nothing others say it makes a big diff as u dont shave much off the crank? so im perplexed by this, since it costs such an amazing amount of money. my ideal rebuild would constitute, rebuild bottom end with new seals etc, poss a bought one (b/e) if cheeper, ported/gas flowed head, cams/pulleys (not kent) and a remap. the point of doing this is not soley for power but because i want a mint new engine where the miles wouldnt bother me, i love the car and will never sell anyway. also the car needs a new subframe as that is rustin badly in parts, so id get a new one powdercoated blue as well.
    now money is an issue but as ive found out its alot cheaper to get things rebuilt/fixed if u only send away that specific part, i aint using any "specalists" like ktec or bb for this work as they are friggin con artists, i think depending on spec i want i reckon that i will spend anywhere up to 1500 max. chatting to most ppl and they seem to quote 850 for a rebuilt b/e but im not sure whether to bother with lightening etc (?) as that is the most costly bit. i was budgeting 500 bottom, 500 top, and 500 bits and bobs e.g new clutch etc etc, if it ends up being extremly exp i may just work on one bit at a time, e.g sort bottom out and get head work and cams done later since that bit will be so much easier to do.....

opinions please........ i'll be in manchester when doing this so lookout n/w boys

good luck mate! rather you than me!
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

A welcome vote of confidence from Fatboy. Nice!

sweet mate!! big job but very rewarding!!i'll swing by n chip in mate!!

sorry mate! im just not that technically minded! and as soon as i open the bonnet on my willy it looks oh so confusing to me!
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Quote Originally Posted by FATBOY
    sorry mate! im just not that technically minded! and as soon as i open the bonnet on my willy it looks oh so confusing to me!
    me too mate about 6 months ago, all u gotta do is dig in!!

right................

lightened and balanced bottom end..... worth it? yes/no?

vs just rebuild with new seals and inspection?

if i had the option to rebuild at my own pace man i'd go full fat, lightened n balanced everything!!

well there is going to be a limit..... cant do that much other than fully strip because i aint ever gona buy the tools......... would be aiming for around 180-200bhp tho

Well imo....

(and ive spent a while pricing up engine rebuilds!)

You will struggle to get it rebuilt with cams, headwork, and remap for 1500.

If you can get the crank, conrods and flywheel balanced and lightened. This involves reducing the weight of these components while keeping them the same weight i.e each conrod should weigh exactly the same!

Are you getting the bores on the bottom end re-lined?

The lightening and balancing should only be around 500 quid tops, so worth doing.

Headwork will be around 400-600 depending whos doing it. Remember someone with a good reputation for headwork is essential to go to, otherwise you will see losses rather than gains!

Cams - piper are around 500, AWT about the same, no idea for catcams. These are the ONLY 3 to use imo.

Pulleys - again awt, piper, or catcams - around 200 quid.

Hydraulic tappets - worth getting new ones - around 200 notes (although im enquiring about some that i can get for 60 quid, but not sure if they are the genuine thing!)

Remap - around 300-400 quid!

Remember you will need to pay for the gaskets, oil, filters, plugs, leads which all add up!

Good luck with it anyway, but id almost double your budget for everything done you want unless you can get things way cheaper than i can!

Your main expense is headwork, cams and remap, and for those alone you are looking at the best part of 2k all in, including labour!