Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reprofiled Cams

Forum User

Reprofiled Cams

Advantages/disadvantages over new cams

Discuss....

you can have them profiled to your own spec really, just be as strong as standard cams i guess. Price wise cant be that cheap tho really.... no idea but id say advantage is you can have them to whatever profile you want!

You can have a new cam to any profile you want.
    Regrinds you are limite to a maximum amount that you can take off the BCD (base circle diameter, or the 'round' part of the cam). You need to take off more to chage the profile by a larger amount. So you cant take off that much before you reach the outer limits of the lifters clearance takeup, then it will tap to high heaven.

Downfalls after that is you will experience massive valve acceleration rates for any given profile compared to once with a larger BCD ground from a new blank. Increased valve float and bounce, and initial snap openings that can be more than twice the speed of a cam with a larger BCD (bad!).

All in all, regrinds are poor. They hurt valve motion, acceleration and valvetrain harmonics. Which is why i never use regrinds.

There is a reason they are cheap.

Forum User
    Its just i've been offered a cammed, ported and polished head for £250, after talking to him turns out piper reground his cam to about a 260 degree angle, but i supose i can always temporarily run the reground cam, or switch back to a std cam.

Ben, if i was to post up some pics that he has sent me of the headwork he has had done wouldn you be able to comment of hte quality of it, or would you need to see the head its self

A mild regrind is ok.

You cna post some pics, but without disassembly i cannot comment totally, especially if pics are only from the manifold ends.

Pics need to be well lit and of high resolution, then i can comment to a decent nature, but without seeing the valve seats, i cannot put any 'yay or nay' comments really.........unless the thing just sucks.

Oh, on that topic.....i'll be posting some pics of a LAD head i have! lol

Forum User
    I'm ready for a good laugh.

Forum User
    One thing i am suprised by, after seeing various heads, including ones you have done ben, is the overall dirtyness of the whole thing, esp the cam, and where the cam sits

The cheek! lol

My heads are clean as funk before they leave, even the oil staining is gone.

But i cant really tell from those pics sorry, all i can see is a single angle seat (which dont properly is 100% fine, but requires the correct port and chamber side blend), but i need to see down the ports to the valve head ideally.

From what i can see, i would put it in the average pile with most of the heads i see.

Forum User
    Sorry ben, jusr re-read my post, and what i mean is most of the heads i see, including all of yours are absoloutly spotless, this one isn't, still recon it woudl be worth it for £250, for the short term like

Forum User