Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yade
    Coilovers are a waste of time and money without proper setup, corner weighting makes so much difference. Another tip is just because you have adjustable height dont slam the car to the ground, perfect height is when the wishbones are lying parralel to the car not at any angle which will put unwanted stress on the bushes. Also a negative frame angle of 1 degree will help. Checkout www.northamptonmotorsport.com
    Wooohooo someone agrees with me at last :D

Corner weighting Danny is basically setting the car up so that each corner weighs the same IIRC.

Certainly each side should read the same weight.

Chances of having this on a standard car are fook all, so what that arguement is meant to say about coilovers I don't know.

well...the corner weighting etc is ok..if its for use on track all the time..but why would u want to corner weight it evry time someone gets in the pass seat, rear seats, u put a bag of shopping in the boot etc......

corner weighting is a bit pointless for an evryday driver IMO as the weights on each corner wil be changin all the time.

best compromise for road use/track use etc is coilovers..........full stop

n fact, being able to adjust the height, as you can with coilovers, will allow one to corner weight the vehicle and setup the parallel wishbone arrangement.

So that's the coilovers are crap argument shot down. You do however, have to get the properly setup to get everything out of them. Northampton motorsport (provided in the link in Yade's post) are reknowned for being very good with regard to susp. setup, and also wheel balancing.

Banned
    The way i see it is:

If you set up coilovers for road use (compromise safety, speed and comfort), then basically you just have the same set up as standard.

If you set up coilovers for optimum performance (track use), then your car will be unusable and un sfae for road use.

So coilover have no advantage on the road.

Saftey????

There adjustable....ie can be set for road, changed for track days

Just my 2p's worth lol

Banned
    So can springs and shocks

But not many companys....If any make springs and shocks for a williams

Banned
    The footage i see on track days on cliosport, i dont see many people driving fast enough to justify coilovers, or even decent tyres. Seems pretty pedestrian to me.

Think alot of people on there talk the talk but are just like 95% of the popluation, fooking useless. I get the impression most are the kind of kids who would get picked last at football practice or have a note from their dad saying 'please excuse my son from rugby as he is ****ing useless'.

As Martin Brundle said about Takumo Sato 'He turned into the corner and suddenly ran out of talent'. Damon Hill went through a set of Clio Williams brakes in 1.5 laps of the Nurbergring according to Jonathon Williams (15 or so miles?). If your brakes are lasting longer than that id say standard suspension would be fine and coilovers is not worth it as your no where near the limit of the car.

People seem to think that a Cliosport sticker, bucket seats and coilovers will suddenly add some talent to their feable useless bodies. The only thing that can do that is your parents. :D

Forum User
    I don't understand a bloody word of this but KS you made me laugh

I am just blissfully ignorant