Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The perfect susp set up?

What is the perfect susp set up for, everyday road driving, track days and 1/4's?

I know they are all totally different, but what do people think would be best,

the best ride height, bearing in mind im wanting to fit over speed bumps?

the best compression and spring rate?

also the best make that is adjustable?

and what did the likes of ragnottie use susp wise in his clio's, height, make and type?

Cheers

Danny

I've just found out my front 2 springs have snapped

Banned

Re: The perfect susp set up?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyt
    What is the perfect susp set up for, everyday road driving, track days and 1/4's?

I know they are all totally different, but what do people think would be best,

the best ride height, bearing in mind im wanting to fit over speed bumps?

the best compression and spring rate?

also the best make that is adjustable?

and what did the likes of ragnottie use susp wise in his clio's, height, make and type?

Cheers

Danny
    You need a dedicated test team to effectively evaluate all he above. Set up in Rallying is dependent on conditions, surface, time of year, driver style etc etc etc.

I use the standard Renault set up because i know a dedicated test team spent along time making sure it was right (ie Renault Sport).

yer thats what im wondering, however they didn't make it purely for speed, stifness and handling, they had to incorperate comfort as it was a road car!

So perhaps you could tell me, what does it handle like in comparisant to a williams on coilovers, i.e does it lean a lot, does it feel comforatable on the edge or do you think it could handle a lot better?

Also what do you think to the ride height?

Im just trying to weigh up whether to go for like you said the standard williams set up, that way, you get comfort and handling, but after going from quite a stiff low set up will i be happy or impresses or will it lean too much?

Cheers

Danny

Banned
    Ive never been in a Williams with coilovers.

You have'nt lived!

If you want something to tackle all the different scenarios Danny, it has to be coilovers. This is what Ragnotti and most m-sport teams use anyway as they can fully adjust everything from rates to height.

There will be some element of compromise in the standard willy setup as it ultimately had to be driven everyday to suit a range of drivers. It might be setup to lean more to the drivers that would put them through their paces, but there would still be some margin of compromise for those that wouldn't intend to "drive"

Coilovers are a waste of time and money without proper setup, corner weighting makes so much difference. Another tip is just because you have adjustable height dont slam the car to the ground, perfect height is when the wishbones are lying parralel to the car not at any angle which will put unwanted stress on the bushes. Also a negative frame angle of 1 degree will help. Checkout www.northamptonmotorsport.com

By the same token, any suspension setup, including standard, will not be as good as when it's corner weighted.

What would you suggest instead?

I don't understand, corner weighted, parallel wishbones?

Can anyone put this into lamens terms?

Danny