Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Forum User

Understanding 1/4 mile times and terminals

Took the old barge along to santapod saturday evening for a miserable 2 runs! 5 hrs and 2 runs

Anyway my first ever time up the strip and im up against my cousins saxo vts, he's changed cams and the usual mods, chip/exhaust/filter, probably running circa 150bhp

I get off the line first and pass over the finish line first but my time was 14.6 @ 103mph and his was 14.6 @ 93 mph.

Next run after that i beat a bluefin RS and i manage a 14.1 @ 102mph.

Not great i know but im a first timer with a 2.6 60ft so give me a break It was around 19:00 aswell so tarmac wasn't as sticky as it had been!

Now i left a little dissapointed as i was expecting around 13.5 @ 105mph mark, but quite a few cars were supposedly down on times! Best an R34 GTR was doing was 14secs flat and some scoobies/pulsars were around the 15sec mark! I spotted 1 of you lot in an M reg williams getting mid 15's!

Now not getting into actual times, im just wondering about times and the terminals!

Now on my 1st run against the saxo, he completed the 1/4 mile in 14.6secs at only 93 mph, where as i completed it in the same time but with a terminal of 103mph!

Now going from that info my 0-100 time on that run would have been around 13.5-14.0 and his would have been around 17-18secs.

Not understanding really how the slower car can match the quicker car!

Incidentally on the way home at ''motorway'' speeds my cousin was no where near my old barge. 80-150 and the gap was mahoosive (talking 15-20 car lengths) but he left santapod matching my 14.6 time so it was good enough for him!

Not really understanding how 93mph can match 103mph but sure 1 of you experienced 1/4 milers can give me a good answer

Hopefully on a sticky day with a better 60ft than 2.6 i'll not be too far away from my goal of 13.5 @ 105. Car had all interior/spare wheel/ 1/3 of tank and a lot of my missus's rubbish in it also!

The rocket car was cool 5sec 1/4 at 260mph

J o n
    it's your 60ft time that basically shafted you mate. 2.2's will see you into the 13's, although dont expect too much, as Revo'd Cupra's usually only run low to mid 14's on average. The reason your cousin was matching you is because his 60ft times will prolly be much better, as those Saxo's get off the line pretty damn quick.. so that makes me think that the Skyline driver and others didn't know what they were doing tbh, as if a FWD car can get good grip they should be hitting their book times (12.8 for a GTR IIRC)

without knowing both times, 60ft, 1/8th and 1/4 for both cars its hard to say.

but .takin a random guess here, id say with a 2.6 60ft, ur probs lookin at around 10 secs 1/8 mile

compare those to his, and hel probs be around the 9.5 sec, hes travelling same speed ish at this time, poss a little faster, being the quicker to acc up to that speed.urs now rapes him down the last 1/8 mile giving both same time, but with varying terminals.

basically ur car shit bottom end compared to his, but urs rapes his top end.

Forum User
    He did have a 2.3 60ft.

Not too sure on the rest of the times as he picked up the slip, i'll try and get the rest of the times.

It was amusing to see the amount of scooby/pulsar drivers that cant launch for shit with their vastly superior 4wd

Its a lot harder than i thought launching 1400kg off the line through 270bhp fwd. I guess thats where you clio/saxo boys make up all the time. Lightweight cars with not as much HP but much more managable than a heavy oil tanker with double the hp.

I activated nitrous in 3rd/4th gear! 1st and 2nd is just a waste of time unfortunately as its on a progressive delay meaning your not in gear long enough to use it and along with traction issues just not worth wasting the gas!

Forum User
    I know its a silly question but does the 330ft time relate to the approximate 0-60 of the car?

Big respect to you boys that are managing low 14's and breaking into 13's!

There's a lot more exotic cars that dont run so good! Standard Focus RS for instance at 15.3 and 330ci at 15secs flat.

J o n
    you were on gas as well should deffo be in the 13's then, but again, better 60ft time and that's not in doubt. incidentally the 216bhp Clio gets 104mph terminals and 13.4 1/4 miles, that would be interesting on the road!

Forum User
    Jesus only on gas 3rd and 4th gear.

When i activate it in 3rd it has a 2.5 sec delay with 50% start power, meaning when i change from 2nd at 6500 rpm it drops back to around 5000 rpm in 3rd! Now when i go full throttle it takes 2.5 secs for it too reach the full 50bhp! Initially it only gets a 25bhp kick and then builds up to 50bhp over the 2.5 secs!

Now as you can imagine, the time it takes between 5000-6500rpm in 3rd doesn't take long and its doubtful i even receive the full 50bhp before changing again! 4th gear is a little better as revs dont rise as quickly!

Nitrous aint that good on a progressive tbh unless you activate it at low rpm (ie 3000rpm) No good for drag racing with a progressive as every time you change gear you are going higher and higher up the rev range!

I was thinking about 1st-3rd-5th or 1st-2nd-4th to get round the problem but with a miserable 2 runs in 5hrs didn't have the chance to experiment!

Im not expecting it to be blistering quick due to the nature of the car but i'm hoping for 13.5 @ 105. Terminal isn't too far off just my time that needs improving on! I doubt it being able to do 2.0 60ft times, its just too heavy! Best im hoping for is 2.2-2.3

Its never going to be blistering quick up a strip, its more impressive on the move, ie 80-140.

J o n
    i'd ditch the NOS... or just do what Adi did... have the lot come in at once (although that was a 100 shot lol).

be interesting to see what it does off gas, I bet there's not much difference in the terminals or times, as it sounds like it's not really able to utilise it.

what you launching the car at and is boost limited in 1st and 2nd?

Forum User
    I was launching at 2000rpm as when i tried a 3500rpm launch off the strip i wasn't able to control the wheelspin!

The standard 225 car is capable of 14.7-14.8. When remapped to 265-270bhp the best i have seen/heard from santapod is 14.2 @ 97mph. I personally dont think it will do much more than that. Maybe 14.0 at very very best with perfect launch and gear changes! Too damn heavy, its rolling performance at illegal speeds that a chipped LCR shines!

Forum User
    To be fair though, my car runs a 2.3 60ft time, but 1/4 mile time is 16.3, its an 8v, and i'm seriously flat spotting in 4th, as in virtualy no power