Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Very hard driving from new

Cant be good for a 182 to be thrashed from new?

A certain person from CS mentions how hard he drives it every post he makes. Is this car going to be dead soon?

He's got warranty so why worry.

Always quicker when not ran in properly but a bright flame doesn't burn for as long.

Mat.

Banned
    Hmmm, wouldnt want to buy it after 3 years

Thing is though Stromba the same thing happened when our cars came out, valvers and williams, 3 years free warranty or even a year or whatever and straight away the young ones prob hammered them, then when went in for a service the mechanics prob gave them a hammering and now we own them, so really it's a vicious circle mate!!!

Danny

Banned
    I dont agree. The demographics are completely different. Ive yet to see a Williams 1 owned by a young lad as the first owner. They were just too expensive. Mine was owned by a pilot. Yeah im sure he drove it swiftly. I can never say it wasnt thrashed. But you think a BA Concord pilot needs to thrash a car to get his thrills?

You look at the service history and lots were originally owned by families, middle aged men, enthusiasts or collectors. Not young hooligans. The demographic for the 182 is 'young lad, point to prove, races everything he sees' type.

mine was owned by a manager or summat at a reno dealer.used only in summer for first few years of its life, then handed to his son.a 30 odd year old by then, who was petrified in the passenger seat on the test drive, which told me he didnt know wot the car was capable of, so probs never thrashed it

Quote Originally Posted by 2 live
    mine was owned by a manager or summat at a reno dealer.used only in summer for first few years of its life, then handed to his son.a 30 odd year old by then, who was petrified in the passenger seat on the test drive, which told me he didnt know wot the car was capable of, so probs never thrashed it

No, he just remembered what happened last time he drove it like that

You can't compare old to new though. Modern tolernaces are so much smaller that I don't really think hammering it from the off will be a problem at all.

As long as it's maintained well it'll be fine. All the cars in our family were thrashed from new (by me dad!) and never any trouble. The 25 made it to 290k!

Well to tell you the truth KS I can't vouch for the 400 williams 1 owners that they weren't thrashed from new and all owned by the older generation who looked after them, as there is no proof that I have to say a few of the younger gen didn't get hold of them from time to time!

You also can't tell me that the reno mechanics who worked on them didn't take them out for a screw from cold of punished it on only 2k or whatever, as you weren't there pal, but I know mates of mine who work at reno and do it to the new motors 172 and 182, also audi TT's etc, so why wouldn't they have done it to a williams???

There aren't bothered that they were special motors, they want to know how they drive!!!

Also if the Pilot who owned yours didn't need to thrash it to get his frills then why did he buy it in the first place!!! I think it's a different feeling to flying concord at cruise than taking the best handling hot hatch down some B roads, however again I cannot comment as I wasn't there throught the entire life of your car so don't know!!!

But I can admit that my car will have been thrashed in the past and possibly from cold too, by a few people, as i give it a good healthy blast every now and then too, but the only thing I can guarentee is that i look after it and won't let people i don't know get there hands on it, like mechanics i don't know etc!

Just my opion!

Danny

Forum User
    I agree with Danny you pays your money and takes your chance, but what I will say is that most of you guys are alot younger than me but have significantly more knowledge of your motors than I do. Also I suspect you drive your cars like the designers intended!!, however from what little I have picked up on this site is that you guys look after and maintain your cars like nobody else. I WOULD BUY A USED CAR OFF ANYONE OF YOU!!