Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum User

Is it easier to get to 900kg or 190bhp??

Hi all, hopefuly an interesting question for you all here....is it easier to get a clio williams to 900-950kg by various forms of weight sheding or is it easier to get to around 180-190bhp? Both are going to cost about the same im guessing

Ive been playing with this.....http://westfield-world.com/power-to-weight.html and its got me thinking, ive already got 168bhp per ton according to that which is impressive i think.

Quote Originally Posted by will.i.am.s2
    Both are going to cost about the same im guessing
    Nowhere near I would say, and I have done in excess of both. You mention 950kg - this is extremely easy and would involve little expense. 900kg would not involve much expense either, if you don't mind losing a few creature comforts. 190bhp on the other hand would involve quite a lot of expense unless you can do it all yourself - the cars I can think of that have around this have had quite a lot of money spent on them, apart from a few talented people who have added turbos for good power with little cost, but if you are still thinking of sprinting/hillclimbing then this would move you out of the original class. Mine is around 250bhp/tonne and the weight saving has been quite extreme without massive expense, whereas the engine is by no means the best out there but has cost too much!

Forum User
    Yikes 250bhp/tonne :o I bet shes a beast.

This one is fast enough as it is for the road @ 162bhp (according to a RR print off anyway) I would just like to see it with around 180-190bhp/tonne which realy shouldnt be to hard? It can keep up with some ridiculous cars as it is but im not happy with just keeping up if you get me

Could do with finding a weigh bridge to get the weight of it as it is first as stats from the handbooks/internet are wildly different so that would be a good starting point. If i could extract around 170bhp from the engine and lighten it i should acheive my goal.

Considering the williams weight of 990 kg include 3/4 tank of fuel, all you have to do is run with £5 worth of fuel and your at 950 kg. Pretty easy really.

Forum User
    Thanks red cloud i did not know that :D

Forum User
    you will not, no matter what you try, get past 175bhp on standard injectors, and they'll be leaning out at the top end before that! with bigger injectors and some significantly wild cams you might hit 185 with good mapping.

Most powerful lightly tuned car on here seems to belong to Jay S, which is 180bhp. As far as RR figures go Dyno Dynamics always seem to be about bang on the money.

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/...389&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Red Cloud
    Considering the williams weight of 990 kg include 3/4 tank of fuel, all you have to do is run with £5 worth of fuel and your at 950 kg. Pretty easy really.
    This is a good point if you are thinking of sprinting it as you won't use much on each 'run' - I used to run mine with the fuel light on at all times and then just top it up with cans after the event in order to be able to drive home/to a garage. The Clio seemed to have a pickup that could cope with that, whereas the Pug Mi16 I also ran had to have more than half a tank of fuel in it if it was to avoid fuel surge on the corners.

Stating the horpower figures on these cars is pointless because it doesnt take into account the drivability of the engine or how well it uses the power.

Yeah sure, some cars on here are as powerful as the group a clios back in the day, but i bet they are not set up nearly so well, are not as strong and not as reliable driven flat out for stage after stage. Thats the difference between the resources of renault, and an amateur.

Evogone has previously stated that his gearbox was a bigger jump in performance than 50 bhp, and i agree.

And martin proved that a decent standard blue printed engine, some decent strippage, slicks, and a decent driver, will allow you to be faster than 90% of cars in 90% of circumstances.

There are plenty of people on this and other forums that have spent 5k easily on their engine. For that price they could have just fitted a sequential dog box. Car would have been more fun and faster in my opinion. I am suprised no one snapped up ktecs sequential gearbox, it was an absolute performance bargain at 4.5k.

It's entirely dependent on what people use the car for and want out of it. For a track car, handling mods, brakes and sticky rubber will be of more benefit for sure.

Other people are happy with the handling aspect and simply want a bit (or a lot) more power.

What kind of power and torque can these dog/sequential boxes handle?