Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutch Cable

Clutch Cable

Hi guys,

The last couple of days I have been having issues getting my W2 into gear, but mostly 1st and 2nd. With the clutch pedal fully pressed down I still have to wrench the gearlever to get 1st or 2nd but it is mostly a problem after running for a while and after a few gear changes. Even from start it is quite stiff though. Then today "snap", clutch cable dead. Will be fitting a new one tomorrow.

My question is this: Is a clutch cable that was clearly near the end of its life likely to have caused the gear selection problem or might it be another underlying clutch/gearbox problem. FYI When the engine is off I can manually select the gears no problem and with no resistance.

Many thanks,
    Will

Forum User
    Normally they stretch before they brake, when they stretch it means the clutch doesnt disengage properly which will cause gear selection problems with the engine running.

thanks a lot chip for your input. Apparently the garage said they can only get one from renault in france, meaning itll be fixed by thursday. Bummer! I'm a bit sceptical that is the only source available though!

Could also be the pedal/ratchet mechanism at fault as the teeth can wear out. The cable stretching shouldn't really cause the problem as the ratchet mechanism will compensate for it - to a certain extent

You need to measure how much the clutch fork moves, should be 17-21mm, anything less & the pedal needs replacing. Most people on here will say that the cable should only ever be bought from Renault as pattern parts don't appear to be the right length & break easier but I don't agree with that any more, I've snapped 2 genuine cables now yet the non genuine cable I fitted after the 1st 1 snapped then refitted it after the 2nd 1 snapped & I've never had a problem

Forum User
    If i were you i would change the whole lot, pedal mechanism and the cable. It's a bugger to fix so you might as well do it in one shot.
    Gluck.

thanks guys..where can i buy the pedal mechanism? what parts does it consist off and how many more of my pounds can I say goodbye to?

renault again, although perhaps renaultcarparts do it as well?

not sure on costs, all i do know is its a bag of around 1000 little bits and springs, clips etc!lol!

oh god! sounds like a nightmare! lol

Forum User
    Yeah even just the cable is more of a pain than you would ever expect, and if you have to do the pedal too it only gets worse.

Especially if paying 50 quid an hour while someone else ****s around with it for a couple of hours!

i thought it might be so ive got someone doing it on £40/hour tomorrow hoping that alone will be enough to fix the sticky gear selection problem. then when i get it back ill measure this clutch fork movement and see what's what.