Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alternator belt set-up

How many pulleys are on the alternator belt set-up? Is it just one, which I guess is the adjuster? It goes round PAS pump, crank and alternator as well. Anything else? I have a squeak when running first thing in the mornings which goes when warm. I'm led to believe this will probably be the adjuster on the aux belt so I was going to change all pulleys but can only see one listed with Renault?!

It is more likely to be a slightly loose belt. Does it squeal more when cold and when its on full lock?

The tensioner pulley is a bitch to replace. I guess you could in theory take the pulley off without taking the entire PAS brackets off, and screw it back in but the likelihood of the part it screws into behind the bracket falling off is very high!

When cold, yes. On full lock doesn't make a difference. What's the easiest way to tell if its the belt or the tensionner? How easy is it to just change the belt?

I suppose you could spray some wd40 on the belt to see if it gets any quieter?
    To change you gotta take off the headlight, jack up the front of the car so you can get at the alternator bolt. Possibly get it from up top with the correct tools.
    Not 100% sure if you need to take off the bottom timing belt cover but i think the belt wraps around the crank pulley. It's a fiddly job and you gotta watch out you dont over-tension the tensioner which you gotta loosen first with an allen key before adjusting.

Forum User
    I suppose you could spray some wd40 on the belt to see if it gets any quieter?
    Do not do this, i did this every couple of days and made a right mess of the whole area and it's a bitch to clean after, simply change the belt, it's a pain in the butt but will last and fix the problem.

Belt WILL fix the problem?!
    Having the cambelt changed soon and asked about having the aux tensionner changed at the same time but that bumped the price up by about £200! May just get the aux belt done at the same time then. Anyone recommended anywhere to get my cambelt changed?

Noise was bad this morning. Does the alternator belt run the water pump as well?

to replace the cam belt. Don't you have to get the aux off anyway?!

The belt, yes. But not the tensionner - that's still a different job to do I understand

Quote Originally Posted by andyleep
    Noise was bad this morning. Does the alternator belt run the water pump as well?
    Yes it does