Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Men vs Women: UK car insurance rates

EU rulings say higher rates for young men are discriminatory and rule there must be an equal rate across male and female policyholders. Discuss.

Forum User
    I want to see if they make the same ruling about age, will be bloody interesting if they do cause the car insurance business is just going to fall apart I should think!

Forum User
    Would be nice if they balanced the price ie drop mens insurance and raised womens rather than take womens price up to the mans. Dont think that will happen though probably just raise them all

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by A&P
    Would be nice if they balanced the price ie drop mens insurance and raised womens rather than take womens price up to the mans. Dont think that will happen though probably just raise them all
    They are talking about mens dropping 10% and womens going up 25%

which means they are doing exactly what you say (as men currently spend 2.5 times as much in the uk on car insurance as women in total)

its about time they got the equality theyve been screaming for for so long tbh. i dont think the women campaigning for equality will like it much tho tbh, cos it doesnt suit. i.e. theyl pay more. its a shame the life ins. and pensions arent quite there yet too tho.

Forum User
    ^^^^ agree with you bud. Chip thats good news too did not know they were doing that so from to

There are numerous inequalities between men and women in the way they are treated, perceived and dealt with by the population at large and the system, always have been. In this case however I can see why they may say young women are a lower risk than young men.

Don't believe what you hear on TV though. Women DO have accidents, just as many if not more than men, it's just they tend to be lower in overall claim value.

By the way, this whole situation backfires on men around the age of 65 as women are rated as a higher risk at this point than men, and it's men that get the better deal.

Forum User
    Women drive less miles on average than men, thats the main reason that on average their total claim value per person is lower.

but they can have more claims per year, sure at a smaller cost, but the total cost can end up more.......things like rear/front bumpers and painting, dings, scratches etc etc etc.

I'm not sexist, buttt..........

a woman very nearly killed me and herself after deciding to cross a dual carriageway 10m in front of me in wet weather.

women may not have as many accidents as blokes, but are more than likely the cause of many too!

such lapses of concentration deserve higher premiums in my opinion and fairs fair!