Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Williams value

Williams value

are they literally worth nothing now?

bought mine just over a year ago and couldn't get a williams 1 with mot for less than 2k

literally no serious interest in mine and its been up for sale for ages,whats the crack?

is it that people just arent risking older cars as its winter and everyones too skint to have a toy?or are the williams' just simply worthless now as the demand for their parts has dissappeared also due to essential collapse of the mk 1 scene over past year or two?

such a shame really!

Forum User
    tbh, i wouldnt say the markets totally flopped with the williams, just winter time, selling cars now is always hard.

come spring, prices will rise again!

Dunc

well coopsie if you get sick of the sight of it, we would part with some pennies when you drop the price

need one to complete the family

I'd agree with dunc. I know its the silly season but I reckon a williams is not on the top of anyone's shopping list this time of year, although you have had it for sale for a while.
    Price wise, as there is no official/non-official guide (that i know of) then you would have to assume it's worth what anyone is willing to pay for it.
    Just a hunch but I'd say you'd have to wait another 10 years before the mark 1's come back into big demand again.
    In the meantime the rest of us can enjoy our's!

Forum User
    My tuppenceworth. I think there are more reasons than this (I just don’t have time to write them ATM):

1) For a lot of people, running a >15 year old car on a daily basis is going to be expensive due to fuel costs and running costs. Many people commute quite a distance these days so you tend to need a reliable cheap car to run unless your Williams is a minter and mechanically sound (how many of those are still out there)

2) The majority of people run scared of high mileage cars (and most Willys are these days) so unless you get someone who 'knows a bit' about the Williams and what should have been replaced by that mileage, then you'll always struggle a little.

3) There are a large number of hot hatches out there that match the performance of the Williams, are younger and don’t cost a great deal more.

4) Speaking for myself here, I'm in my mid thirties and remember looking at the Williams in the showroom when it was new, it was my car to aspire to and I still love it. Move on a few years and the young 'uns have other cars they aspire to owning.

5) This is really a second car (I couldn’t afford to run it as my daily). With the recession etc I think the majority of people who aren’t ‘enthusiasts’ like ourselves are holding onto their money more and not buying things that can be perceived as frivolous.

6) At the end of the day, it's an old French car=rust, unreliable, money pit (joe public’s view)

7) Maybe every ‘enthusiast’, like us, who wants one has got one...

8 ) I would be surprised if this is a Williams/16V problem alone. I don’t follow the prices of 5Gt Turbos, 205 GTIs and the like but it wouldn’t surprise me if these have taken a dive too.

Forum User
    im currently in the market for a nice hot hatch, owned a williams 3 before which was a low mileage minter, and the thing putting me off your car would have to be the mileage and obviously the other problems u mention, ie diff whine rear arches starting to rust etc. lots of other hatches out there for similar money in better condition and lots less miles. see the link to the other williams i found today on gumtree, only 56k on clock massive history etc for 2700.00, emailed him and he has a buyer coming on saturday, the low mileage mint examples of any iconic hatch will sell but high milers with problems wont, money pits.

Can i throw another tuppence in

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dash
    My tuppenceworth. I think there are more reasons than this (I just don’t have time to write them ATM):

1) For a lot of people, running a >15 year old car on a daily basis is going to be expensive due to fuel costs and running costs. Many people commute quite a distance these days so you tend to need a reliable cheap car to run unless your Williams is a minter and mechanically sound (how many of those are still out there)
    There are also many people who dont use a car to travel to work but would like a car for weekends, track days and so fourth

2) The majority of people run scared of high mileage cars (and most Willys are these days) so unless you get someone who 'knows a bit' about the Williams and what should have been replaced by that mileage, then you'll always struggle a little.
    It's a niche market so anyone looking is/should be prepared to do some work

3) There are a large number of hot hatches out there that match the performance of the Williams, are younger and don’t cost a great deal more.
    Yep and all soulless!

4) Speaking for myself here, I'm in my mid thirties and remember looking at the Williams in the showroom when it was new, it was my car to aspire to and I still love it. Move on a few years and the young 'uns have other cars they aspire to owning.

5) This is really a second car (I couldn’t afford to run it as my daily). With the recession etc I think the majority of people who aren’t ‘enthusiasts’ like ourselves are holding onto their money more and not buying things that can be perceived as frivolous.
    One mans loss is another mans gain

6) At the end of the day, it's an old French car=rust, unreliable, money pit (joe public’s view)
    It's not a car for joe public is it?

7) Maybe every ‘enthusiast’, like us, who wants one has got one...
    There aint that many going available!

8 ) I would be surprised if this is a Williams/16V problem alone. I don’t follow the prices of 5Gt Turbos, 205 GTIs and the like but it wouldn’t surprise me if these have taken a dive too.
    Not sure about his but I reckon the williams bottomed out on price a couple of years now.

Forum User
    Yep :D

^ great minds think alike
    As for coops and his car. You see all the bad bits and his high mileage thing..well I have all the parts and an engine with 110K which i am almost giving away.
    Bar the arch's and if you know what your doing you'd have that car sorted with £500.
    Coops its too cheap! Put the price up mate and you'll see the phone will not stop ringing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunc
    just winter time, selling cars now is always hard.
    ^ This.

I'm also in the market for a niche car (different marque) at the moment and have viewed a number of examples, with none so far meeting my standard, however, it is clear to me from trawling the ads for well over a month now that the same cars are up for sale the whole of this time. There have been just a couple that sounded very promising that by the time I have called they have already had a viewer on the way or have sold, but other than those (presumably minters and were certainly priced keenly if so) then nothing seems to be shifting. I'm hoping this means that it is a buyer's market for when I eventually find a car that does meet my standard!