Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gearbox leak

Gearbox leak

Most things on my car are pretty damn pukka, BUT I have spotted a gear box leak coming from the drivers driveshaft bit.

Looks like a regular leak, fluid level is still good.

I guess this is gearbox out right? Is this a seal leak? Bit annoying as I have never had any trouble before and the box was supposed to have all new seals as of around April....leaking already...?

Hi Wobba..just a hunch but could it be this? Had the same problem back in 06 but on the n/s. it may not be g/b out but it is certainly a fluid drain.

Hehe, that's your gearbox circlip! Well known for failing. I don't have one on mine ;)

ah ha you got one of those fancy new ones then

Where is it leaking from? drivers side you say? The gearbox is on the passenger side of the car.. unless you meant leaking from the where the drivers side driveshaft meets the box?

Yes, the splined shaft exiting the gearbox that the drivers driveshaft slots on to.

I have a Gripper diff on my car. When it was fitted in April or so it was meant to have the seals replaced.

My question is can I repair it and what do I need to look out for? I had the shaft off quite recently if that makes any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    I had the shaft off quite recently if that makes any difference.
    That may explain something :P

Wobba I have a suggestion. Why dont you get a hat with a webcam on it, that way we can all see what your doing when youve got an itch!!

If you remove that driveshaft it shouldn't affect the oil seal at all.

But there is a seal behind that splined shaft (quite a large black one) which might not be seated correctly or might be old/damaged and causing the leak. Or it could be leaking from the speedo cable area above?

Right what I want to know is is it possible to repair with the gearbox in situ with the driveshaft output shaft seal, or is it a 'box out job. If so I may have it modified more or have another 'box rebuilt and crown wheel modified and ready for my limited slip diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    Right what I want to know is is it possible to repair with the gearbox in situ with the driveshaft output shaft seal, or is it a 'box out job. If so I may have it modified more or have another 'box rebuilt and crown wheel modified and ready for my limited slip diff.
    That seal can be replaced with box in. Have a look at the seal to see if its in properly and up square, mine leaked here and was pushed back into position and was fine. If it needs replacing then it should just be a case of removing the shaft and fitting a new seal.