Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

Broken Cam Belt :(

Dreaded cam belt failure happened last night. If I am to believe the previous history then it wasn’t due for another 15,000 / 1 year but never mind.

Just wondering what damage I can expect? I am guessing some valve damage etc and I’ll know more once we have pulled it apart but I was hoping someone else has replaced one recently and can let me know any pitfalls / tips.

I have a garage to use on weekends so shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Dan

Usually 4 bent valves. 2 intake and 2 exhaust. There will be some markings on your pistons where valves touched, but that's usually nothing to worry about.

:( Unlucky!

Was you driving when it happened?

There have been a couple of cases recently where the belt has snapped, caused bugger all damage & a new belt fitted then it's been fine, the jammy cnuts

Might not be too bad if revs weren't high at the time of snapping. I had an Uno Turbo belt that snapped when I was pottering around. I don't recall paying much many for new parts, mostly labour cost for the strip and inspect.

Forum User
    Yeah, I was on the Oxford ring road in third, not gunning it, but probably around 3-4k.

Fingers crossed it is just the four valves, any idea what kind of price I can expect?

Argh well, I shall take this opportunity as a learning experience. I'm yet to take a head apart so it should be interesting....

Dan

Usually valves are sold in batches of 4 (here in EU). So 4 inlet and 4 exhaust. Maybe you can find a store that will sell you individual valves and you'll take only as much as you need. Just so that you know that it's not a scam if they will want to sell you 8 valves.

Otherwise exhaust valves are about 8€ and inlets are about 15€ for 33mm megane valves. Original Williams inlet valves (32mm) are Renault only IIRC and are much more expensive. So it's cheaper to make megane valves fit your head. While you are a t it you can skim the head and replace valve stems (about 60-80€). New cambelt is 53€ and tensioner pulley is about 50 as well. You can change your water pump too (29€).

I'm sorry for the prices in €, but it should be fairly easy to convert back into pounds.

I have a good Willy head available.

Mat.

i to have a good williams head ;)

Forum User
    Thanks for the prices! Seems like I at least have a few options.

I'll need to strip it down to find out what has actually broken but I'll keep the two available heads in mind as it might be easier.

I'll be doing the work in the south, near Guildford / Portsmouth. So location will also come into consideration.

Thanks.