Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tax / MOT evasion probably worth it?

I'm as law abiding as the next, but I've just got away without tax / MOT for the best part of a month, albeit by mistake.

I've been snowed under, covering for a manager that has left, basically doing two jobs for one for the last 6 weeks. In the confusion, I failed to notice that my tax and MOT ran out about 4 weeks ago.

I've MOT'd and taxed now, but can't help but notice that I never received a reminder that I was potentially breaking the law for 25 days without realising it. I think the law should be more proactive in this respect. I'd be here complaining if the fuzz were too proactive, but with no prompts I can't help but wonder how long I could have got away with it at honest drivers (me, when I've got it together) expense.

Re: Tax / MOT evasion probably worth it?

Yawn

Forum User
    All it takes is one PNC camera and your arse would have been grass. Luck of the draw. My friend got away with no mot on his car for 6 months.

One of the cars I was going to see has a similar story.

When the owner was writing up the add he noticed his MOT timed out by 3months.

He booked it in and got it re-done and then re-submitted the add.

(I didn't buy this one).

I've got away with the MOT , straight pass, but the tax disk backdated it to the beginning of the month, despite declaring Sorn while I got my paperwork in order, so I didn't really get away with it as much as expected. 190GBP for tax, gosh!

Forum User
    If you get pulled without an mot is it not just a fine? Some evil traffic copper once told me that your insurance would be void which i don't believe because on claim forms for insurance it states 'does the vehicle have an mot?' and if you tick the no box they take 20% off what your cars worth.

Forum User
    no, you get a fine if no tax. insurance is void if no MOT as the car isnt road legal.

Forum User
    ** road worthy not road legal **

Quote Originally Posted by Justin..
    no, you get a fine if no tax. insurance is void if no MOT as the car isnt road legal.
    Not strictly true - well you can't get done for having no insurance because you have no MOT .

Quote Originally Posted by DaneC
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin..
    Not strictly true - well you can't get done for having no insurance because you have no MOT .
    You can, it's down to the discretion of the copper stopping you for it, if he's in the mood he can throw the book at you & do you for as many offences as he can find