Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

TAP TAP TAPTAPTAPTAP!

I am now getting a continuous loud tapping, increasing with revs, it does not go away.

It has been like this before on and off when cold, now it's all the time, but it did stop for about 5 minutes as I was just coming home.

Today saw 217 being seriously driven hard, for the first time in ages. I have swapped the exhaust over this weekend, not sure if it could be damaged manifold (don't think so), sticking tappets or injectors. Why would injectors make such a racket and what can I do about it?

It's seriously annoying. There appears no performance drop but the car sounds like a Scooby on low revs.

I am going to try Wynns top end treatment for starters, any other suggestions?

Forum User
    does sound bit like a faulty hydraulic tappet, nothing in a injector that could make that much noise.

Temperature warning light came on as well this morning, even though temperature was barely showing. Lost a fair amount of coolant, no sign of contamination from oil in header tank though.

I have same sound on my F7R-714....

Don`t know what is it

Pretty sure it was a stuck tappet/s. It has gone completely now!

I have a suspicion the fact I'd lost a lot of coolant over Sunday made my warning light come on. Not sure why car sounded like a Scooby though, could be related. Sounds fine now!

Going to put Forte Top End Treatment in tonight to help it not happen again.

My tappets are getting on my tits too.

Forum User
    the subaru type noise could have been a misfire?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin..
    the subaru type noise could have been a misfire?
    Possibly. I was thinking it felt more like a sensor issue. My coolant had dropped so low there was nothing left in the bottle and the rad had a shitload of air in it, I think that's why the temperature warning light came on when it was still cold in the morning, or that the sensor plug was being iffy. It's a new sensor, so I reckon if that's the case it was just the connection.

The tappets have totally quietened down now, and I have just put Forte top end treatment in. I have also gotten sick of coolant leaks after fixing 4 leaks within about 3 months so I've stuck some K-Seal in now to see what happens. If it's still leaking I'll save up, take some time off and do the rad, matrix, HG, cambelt, tappets etc all in one hit.

The car still pulls like a mule and goes very well, so I am just going to enjoy it now.

I shold have probably said, kicks like a mule and pulls like a train...

Forum User
    pulls like a mule, lmao!

at least she's still running right!