Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum User

bottom end blew :( need advice

my bottom end went on my willy 1 on friday, cudnt belive it since its only got 65k on the clock iv got two choices,

for £500 get this 2nd hand willy 1 engine wiv 43k on the clock witch is off a rite off and only got 1 month warranty but still gotta pay a guy to fit it,

or i no a guy hu can totally recondish my engine to brand new and give me 55 thousand mile gaurantee on the rebuild bottom and top end if needed all for 1400

big fooooking job either way.... so wot u guys think lol HELLLLLP

Personally I think I would get yours rebuilt.

There have been a few rebuilt and always end up being the quick un's - although I would shop around a bit to see what you can get. Its also a prime opportunity to get you bottom end lightend and balanced + fly wheel and maybe mild headwork as all labour will be a sunk cost.

If you do buy a s/h one which has had a hard or poor life it certainly wont get you the best from the car but will be cheaper.

How long are you planning to keep it?

Forum User
    well my engine has just had a new clutch, cambelt, tapit set, major service and loads of other bits but im goin for the re build and get them to sort the whole engine out bak to new and like u sed tweek it a bit for a better job im wanting to keep this car for a very long time mate so wudnt be worth getting that 2nd hand engine, jus wanted sum opions cheers

J o n
    I had this problem after Angel Works blocked the oil ways after a badly fitted sump... I ended up getting a new engine as I didn't trust the old one. I'd personally find a nice low mile new as poss Megane BE. I got one for £500 with FRSH and 24k on it, never had any bother with it and it was a nice quick lump.

Sorry to hear mate, gutted!

£1400 is alot to spend IMO.

Depends how much you want to keep the car.

£1400 is a lot.

Doing an engine swap, provided you have the space/help/tools is not as hard as you may think! In fact many consider it easier than doing several jobs with the engine in car...

You can get another engine, and with it out of the car do the cambelt, all gaskets and waterpump in one easy shot and give the valves a clean yourself quite easily.

Engines that are rebuilt tend to be pretty solid units with good outputs assuming it's a decent job. Can be costly though!

Forum User
    As you are in nottingham - speak with MickPM from RSC.
    He has done F7R rebuilds before and he charges a very fair price.

J o n
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalife
    As you are in nottingham - speak with MickPM from RSC.
    He has done F7R rebuilds before and he charges a very fair price.
    good call, Mick's a good lad and knows his shit.

I was in this dilemma a couple of years back, my cambelt snapped and knackered the top end, I opted for a rebuild by my local garage, took them 8 weeks (they are very meticulous!) and cost a small fortune but been very happy with it since and seems to be a bit quicker than it was too, either way good luck mate...

Could also give Stan on here a bell too