Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

oily plugs and moaning steering pump!

Hi all. I recenly bought my first williams which has been awesome but as you are all aware not without issues.

The main problems im having at the moment are that ive got oil in my spark plug wells. ive heard that this is a problem with the rocker cover gasket. If this is correct how difficult is fitting a new one?

Also i think my steering pump is dying as the car sounds like a depressed whale when turning. Has anyone got any advice on obtaining a new or recon'd pump and how difficult they are to fit. I think i can see it down on the aux belt but it looks pretty deep down and im wondering how much work is involved.

Ive got quite a bit of mechanical experience and im reluctant to use garages because i feel like most mechanics dont know how to work on these cars either. If theres anyone local in the south manchester area who would be up for lending a hand sometime then it would be greatly appreciated and i could really benefit from getting some tips on general willy stuff.

Tom

try removing the plugs and oil from the wells,then run it to see if it appears again, as it could of been spilt during poring, as for the pas pump,top it up a good bit,that can stop the whining well it did on mine and i'm sure i've heard that before too.

Slick50 PAS fluid will do the trick :D

Rocker cover gasket is a piece of piss to change, just don't overtighten the bolts when u put it back on, otherwise you'll have to do it again

Never heard a reconditioned pump in action but most PAS pumps i've heard have been a little whiny.

Depends how bad yours is though.

If you can get hold of a recon pump i'd be happy to help but won't be available until next month as currently got a lot on at the moment

Forum User
    noisy PAS pump is part of the character of the car....

cheers guys. Checked the oil thing out and im pretty sure its the gasket, so ive ordered a new one today.
    Gonna try replacing the powersteering fluid with slick 50. and see if that helps. Pump is seriously noisey though.

What sort of torque are you lookin at on that cover? 5NM?

I topped my PAS fluid up with some stuff called Lucas Stop Leak, seemed to quiten things down a bit, but it's nothing to worry about mate, mine has always been a noisy bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by LEIGH-ANNE
    Slick50 PAS fluid will do the trick :D
    As above.

Top-up, slightly overfill even, the PAS reservoir with Slick50. It cured my PAS noises.

Camcover gasket is quite simple.

16 bolts hold it on. It may be a bit stuck by the pulley cover, but just pull it up at one end and job done. The old gasket will likely be fused onto the cylinder head, so you need to carefully remove this with an appropriate tool, like a filler blade making sure not to damage the alloy surface.

Clean the surface and simply put the new gasket on. Make sure it is on right, I have heard of people, somehow, putting it on wrong

Replace camcover. Make sure when you put it on it is correctly positioned. Put bolts back on. You don't need to torque them up I don't think, just don't overtighten.

Sweet, another ace wobba guide :D