Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

valver-172 engine swap??

i love my valver to bits and want to keep it.
    but,
    im pretty sure its on its way out(way to many strange noises compared to my last one) so ive been looking in to a nice new engine...maybe some more modern new bits too.

would it be easyer to just buy a 172 instead and replace my valvers engine with another 1.8 over time?? like as another project...

but yeah what would i need if i were to go ahead and how much roughly would i be looking at throwing in to the thing??

and would it be worth it?? :-S

hello m8, your the guy with my old matt black valver arent you?

def go for a 172 lump will be awsome not sure on costs tho

Forum User
    thats me mate...il have to show u some pics of that car now looks well different...this aint for that car though...

but yeah been thinking about it for a while and am not sure what to do,kinda need to do the car abit of justice seen as it gets beaten buy the one u sold me by miles atm haha

got the widetrack kit and that now just waiting for the weather to get nice to fit it..

hows the willy turbo coming along???

172 conversion is a bit more involved than a straight F7R swap

needs some work to get the PAS running if you.

Also needs the 172 loom butchering to fit a valver

Custom downpipe, ecu decoding etc etc...

Forum User
    power steering doesnt really bother me...kinda feel the road better without it anyways i think.
    and so far the cheepest engine, loom and basically everything out of a 172 is a grand from the local scrappy.....
    just not sure how to fit or find someone who knows how to fit all that stuff

ahh cool. i seem to always get the quick ones. only done a few easy miles in the black 1.

turbo is coming on, just awaiting a turbo oil seal then im tax insuring and mot'ing it then i can get it on the road.

there a few people about who have done the 172 conversion so plenty of info to help out. looks quite fun

Forum User
    well ur well lucky then!!! i always end up with crap or money pits hahaha

il have to come get some vids of the turbo when its done, i cant wait to see that on the road will be a monster!!!!

i got some info on the conversion and i was told by a scrappy that i would need a mk1 172 engine rather than the mk2 because of the throttle being on a cable linkage???

is that true or scrappy talk to get me to buy his engine n bits???
    anyone know??

Forum User
    The scrappy has hit the nail on the head matey! You need yourself phase 1 172 running gear as it's cable throttle. Along with that the phase 2's don't have a speedo drive in the gearbox so thats no use and if you were unlucky enough to get 182 stuff the exhaust manifold wouldn't fit down the tunnel either lol.

If you are serious about this feel free to grab me on Msn and i'll answer any questions youve got.
    Beanie0880@hotmail.co.uk

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Beaniemoo
    The scrappy has hit the nail on the head matey! You need yourself phase 1 172 running gear as it's cable throttle. Along with that the phase 2's don't have a speedo drive in the gearbox so thats no use and if you were unlucky enough to get 182 stuff the exhaust manifold wouldn't fit down the tunnel either lol.

If you are serious about this feel free to grab me on Msn and i'll answer any questions youve got.
    Beanie0880@hotmail.co.uk
    added cheers mate

Forum User
    ive decided to go with a willams engine instead, due to the cost...about a grand more than what i thought it would be at a £3500 quote from ktec...

so in going with the willy lump i could get abit more done for the same price...

thanks for all the advice u guys gave me on this topic though