Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What a sh*ter!!

What a sh*ter!!

pulled out of the bp garage this mornin, and as i was pulling out in first my car started to shake really bad, so stuck ma clutch in to stick it in second and was like i hadnt put the cluch in at all, so i treid third and it just crunched, 4th n 5th were fine, but now i have to cut the engine and stick it in first to get goin.
    wen i got home, had a look at the clutch cable and thats fine, n me old man had a look at the pedal and he recons the teeth on the rachet have worn themselfs pretty bad, but i think its more than that!!!
    any body else had this problem, personally i think the clutch plate or the gear box is dead!!!!!
    so very very

Unlucky mate, I would offer my expertise but well, ah ho hum I haven't got any!

Looks like you'll be borrowing Los' car for a while then?!

as above.... :(

PM richy, he's had a gearbox failure in the last couple of months and he is also a renault tech, sure he will help

Forum User
    if its selecting 4th and 5th ok with engine running but crunching in 1st 2nd etc then the synchro mesh's might be knackered, but its pos its just your clutch pressure plate thats failing to, does it defiantly crunch in just 1st,2nd and 3rd ?

had mine get harder and harder to select gears, my friction disc fell apart and then diff blew up lol

pain in arse french cars!

hope u sort it either way

thanks for the help guys, yeah i think ill be borrowin julies 1.0ltr polo, which i suppose is a good thing coz wen i get bak in mine WHEN its fixed my car should feel pretty rapid lol!
    rich ive just had a look at the pedal mate and by the looks of things the teeth on the ratchet have worn really bad would that make any difference, i dont think it will coz the clutch its self is still pretty tight but its worth askin,
    well to be honest it sometimes struggle to get into forth n fifth but not as bad as the other gears, its weird, goes perfect into first wen engines off, then u pull the gear out of first with the clutch in and it feels like u dont have the clutch in at all, then it hardily goes into third at all, but forth and fifth r ok!!!
    weird!!!

Forum User
    yeah the clutch pedal wont help if the teeth are worn, for moneys sake u could try that first! but it maybe the pressure plate failing if u can get gears when the engines off but stuggle to get in/out of gears once running etc

ok mate ill give it a go, how much are the pressure plates to but, i knhow there probably not that much and its the fitting thats gonna cost!
    if it is the pressure plate will i need to take out the gear box, sorry i know the basics of cars but dont know the technical stuff, where is the pressure plate and what does it do?

Forum User
    a clutch kit will cost anywere from £40 upwards depending what u go for in the end, basicly the pressure plate is the part were the release bearing press's against to release the clutch, (release bearing is attached to the fork with cable hooks onto btw) as u said the main cost are removal of the box, it is pos to remove the box without taking the subframe off just abit tight!

Forum User
    btw clutch kit consists of friction disc, the pressure plate and release bearing, best changing the whole kit as one