Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rust sucks

Forum User

Rust sucks

I decided the other day the rear arches needed to be done on the williams before winter kicked off.
    What looked at being a fairly easy job has turned into a bit of a rust nightmare.

This was before. Not looking to bad.

Bumper off and starting to chop away.

It just dont stop. :( Ive cut half the siIll off now because its all rotten. Im looking at replacing the full sill now as well as the wheel arch. This is also what i thought would be the easier side to do aswell, but hey i should have known better. Hopefully it will be looking better tomorro when i start welding.

mate it will get alot worse before it gets better.

Take your time and do a panel at a time, check the rear sills too (behind rear jacking point) and do it all right.

Cut out all the rust and welding shouldnt be a problem

Yep, rust definately sucks. :(

At least you can weld!

I have to pay £££ for someone else to do it :(

I had the exact same problem in the wheel arch, had an envelope size hole in it, had to get a plate welded in!

J o n
    Mk1's are ****ing terrible for rust, that's the biggest thing that will stop me from ever buying another one. My 8 year old 172 doesn't even have a spot of rust anywhere on it...

... that you can see... ;)

Forum User
    Things today have gone a little bit better. Paul, who is a body work pro has completely rebuilt the inner sill and has mounted the new sill and filled it. 2morro is wheel arch day and then hopefully make a start on the other side. i couldnt have done this on my own and am very thankful that i have friends such as paul. I can weld but paul who i used to work for is a lot more expierenced in this kind of work.

Hey fella i wouldn't worry about it.

I took the grinder to my n/s arch yesterday, to find the previous repair that had been done had just covered up old rust. They welded in a plate, and obviously welded over rust! Took the grinder even further, then found another plate underneath that!!!

Will post some pics on my project thread soon!

Oh yeah, and to cap things off, was taking the doors off today, and both the drivers side hinge bolts have snapped Now the remainder will absolutely not come out.

Just remember that it always has to get bad before it can get better Well.... that's what i keep telling myself at the moment!

im getting mine professionally done in the next few months.. rust is startin to take hold of arches
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215