Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Changing Front Brake Hoses?

Hi, I've bought some new front brake hoses to go with my new calipers as one of the originals is starting to perish. Whats the proceedure for changing these....I've looked at where the top of the hose meets the brake union as it looks pretty rusty. Should I soak this area in wd40 to avoid shearing anything off?
    Cheers
    Matt

Wire brush everything up as best you can first then soak in WD40 (or similar approved penetrating oil) and walk away for a coffee before even thinking about touching them!

Go easy though as these unions are made of cheese and round just from looking at them with force :P If you can use a set of good clamping pliars to break the joint then you stand a better chance of reusing them as standard 10mm spanners like to slip.

Mick

Forum User
    pretty much as above, but you can buy proper brake pipe spanners which most of the time work unless the joint is stuck solid which is when some grips come into play normally! dont rush at gettign them off, less likely to mess the union up on the solid pipe.

when you refit the new ones make sure you fit the caliper end first and route the pipe before finally fitting the other end into the bracket and joining it with the solid pipe, that way you shouldnt twist the pipe as the 'inner wing' fitment can go in any position.

Ok lads...thanks for ur advice....I shall use it wisely otherwise i'll be another one with messed up pipes! In the worse case senareo....can the union be fixed? Cheers

Forum User
    you can replace the unions but if you wish to keep the original solid pipe then the end will need cutting off and reflaring after new union was fitted, which then leaves the pipe shorter then it should be, tends to be easyier to buy a roll of copper brake pipe and make a new pipe from master cyl to the flexi joint if you mess the pipe up!

Quote Originally Posted by richy
    you can replace the unions but if you wish to keep the original solid pipe then the end will need cutting off and reflaring after new union was fitted, which then leaves the pipe shorter then it should be, tends to be easyier to buy a roll of copper brake pipe and make a new pipe from master cyl to the flexi joint if you mess the pipe up!
    Sounds fun! Think ill buy the proper brake pipe spanner then and use plenty of wd40! Cheers mate

Also, if you do fluff the steel pipe note that most cheap "Flaring" tools are only designed for use with copper pipe. If you try to flare a steel pipe it'll just bend the die.

Mick

Definately buy a brake pipe spanner don't even both attempting it without one.

I ended up shafting the pipe on the drivers side but that was fairly easy to replace, i also had to cut the union on the passenger side and re-flare the pipe, managed to do it with a normal flaring tool but as mick mentions its pretty hard on a steel pipe.

Make sure you dont twist the copper pipe that goes off into the engine bay, if seized they twist with the nut, thats bad! im fitting my goodridge lines tommorow, with my redstuff pads :D

When fitting the new hoses how do u know how tight to do them up? Cheers