Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Servicing...

Servicing...

Well ****ed off...

Just collected my car from its 6000 mile service interval.

''That will be £202 please...its needed some new rear pads so we put them on...

WTF!? I cannot believe that they just went ahead and did it. £80 they charged me. I only took it for a service. Anything like that I do myself as its a joke how much they charge me. They also added a load of friggin bulbs to the service list.

I didnt bother complaining because theyd fitted them so what can i do, ask them to take them off and put some the old ones back on!! And to be honest I changed the wheels last week, checked the pads, and there was still a bit of meat left on them, so i reckon theyve had me over BIG TIME.

Imo thats bang out of order just going ahead without even a call.

My question is what would you guys do here? Where do I stand with something like this?

BTW, these cars rape spark plugs!! Pick up was immense when I set off!! I presume low down torque is affected by duff spark plugs.

you asked them to service it. thats what they did. if someone takes the car in for a service you replace such items as you've said they have without asking. if not you should have asked for an oil and spark plug change.

most people would be highly ****ed off if they went to the garage and they had booked for a service and they didnt service it they just said 'oh your brake pads are low'. that almost like doing an MOT mate.

Unfortunatley you took it in for a service so what was wrong will be fixed, you wouldnt like it if you went to pick it up and they said oh your rear pads are down, would you like us to book it in again? most people service there cars before they go on a trip or something so garages will do whats needed then and there

Dave

Well you two are obviously thinking different to me!!

I was under the impression that a service was oil change, filter change, plugs etc..

What happens if the caliper wasnt functioning properly for example, would that be replaced without someone calling me, then I turn up and there's a bill for x amount? Or tyres, would they just be replaced without me getting a call?

Seems to be a grey area to me then, going off what you guys are saying..?

Ive no problem with the pads needing changing, but surely I should have been given a call, the list could go on if we are playing like that!! Surely!?

Im not getting arsey with you guys btw! :o

they would just replace things like that and then bill you afterwards mate. a service usually constitutes a list of areas which they check for condition and just replace if they are not functioning as they should or are worn out. tyres they may consult you due to if you wanted summer or snow tyres on but i doubt it. they would prob put on the superseeded modles of what came on them from the factory.
    Wait until Richy comes on and he will tell you what things you would get a phone call for before replacing (i'd imagine its not much tbh bar a new engine lol)

Id personally change the pads if they needed doing without making any phone calls, (consumables) but ive been on the recieving end of annoyed customers because i have changed the pads without contacting them, some dont bat an eyelid, some customers also just asked for an engine service, which is just the basic's theres a lot more to servicing than you would believe, as for a car needing a new exhaust, caliper or anything non consumable then a phone call would be made, tyres are usually advised, as most customers like shopping around for tyres

Dave

im not so sure, i think you should have been called before pad change. if thats the case - ring them and ask how much they charge for a vehicle service. I bet its not £200. if it isnt, then surely anything above and beyond should be phoned in before replacing?

Forum User
    tbh they should inform you of any item that needs changing and get autherisation off you before carrying out that work(even if just a bulb), but alot of places dont always do that, its proberly to late now but you should of complained saying that you did not autherise that work and you may of got it discounted.

usually with brakes on a service they will be checked and fully cleaned etc and if any discs/pads or other items are needed they will price up how much that would be on top of the service cost and then ring you for autherisation as said, (thats how it works at our place)

the only advantage is they have not just looked at them and let it go without question, which you may of had a problem/accident and been even more pissed off!

Its sometimes nice when a customer says "just do whats needed" even then sometimes a phone call is needed if the part is super expensive, £200 does seem expensive for a service with just a pad change, They must've seriously took there time!!