Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help! Can't remove brake disc

Hi guys,

Advice needed asap, as job on right now (Taken day off to do it)

Right in the middle of trying to get my front valver brake discs of so I can replace them (Girling brakes). The haynes manual makes no mention of removing the huge hub nut in, but do I have to remove it?

I have so far removed caliper and the 2 small torx bolts, but I can't seem to tap free the brake disc. Am i doing it right?

Matthew

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    it should come out after the torx screws are out mate
    no need to take the hubnut out .
    tap it like a man :D

Quote Originally Posted by schakal
    tap it like a man :D
    What he says

lol, I actually ended up laying on my side with a massive hammer, wacking the hell out of it, then rotating... wacking 3 times, rotating etc..

They liars at the MOT station failed me for under 1.5 mm on the brake pad, when in fact they are ALL about 10mm! Shocking.

Is it ok to reuse those pads with (which are NOT flat, they are have a lip, and a a grove, but a LOT of pad left), on these brand new discs? Or should I just buy new pads for the new discs?

Matthew

Personally I would always use new pads on new discs as thats what I've always been told and it kind of makes sense, but some people may have a different opinion.

Kinda what I was thinking anyway, as I don't want to grove new discs, but just feel a little bit peed off they lied *sigh*.

Matthew

They fail them as a pair usually, old pads will not bed well to new disc's

Finally finished. The pads I bought were not the right type, but luckily I bought two sets of fronts for my wifes car and didn't return the second set about a month ago. Happened to check it, and they were the right type lol.

but.. schoolboy error... forgot to put the pads in the front before bleeding the rears... que two popped front pistons DOH! Got them back in easily enough but fluid everywhere :( (Had to use carburettor cleaner to get the brake fluid of hopefully that will be solvent enough to get rid of the fluid?

Have bled system, but car doesn't seem to stop that fast to be honest after a 5 min test drive. Will get some brake cleaner and reclean, and hope that sorts it, otherwise it looks like it is probably the bedding in period? Not had an issue like this before on my 200sx when I refurbed my 4 pots and put on some brembo discs.

Matthew

Ooo.. just seen on another forum that someone suggested carb cleaner, but then someone else immediately said it leaves a glaze/residue on the disc. opps.

Will be getting brake cleaner tonight and redo all discs before the mot work at the garage tomorrow

Matthew

Quote Originally Posted by Scougar
    lol, I actually ended up laying on my side with a massive hammer, wacking the hell out of it...
    ^ ****in story of my life at moment mate. There isn't a part of my body thats not aching like a bitch and wanting some serious payback on them twats that designed these bloody cars! Damn French.