Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BOOM Headshot!

BOOM Headshot!

Well, actually it's more like BOOM Headgasket!

I thought I had a water leak the other day as the temp show very hot, so I pulled over and put more water in to get home. Thought I had fixed the problem, and fixed several othe things this weekend, plus refurbished the skuttle panel and the Bonnet grill and lovely matt black (looks great!). Took the car out which was really going well. Then, bang.

RAC filled up the water tank and said to limp to some servoces off the M27 but I had stop as it was clear to me the gasket had blown, with all the steam coming out the exhaust and lumpy engine

I have a horrid feeling the water pump could have gone, would this have caused overheating and HG failure?

If so I guess I'll have to replace that, the HG, possible head skim, and and may as well do cambelt at same time?

This is expensive right? I can't do it myself, I simply don't have the tools or space. Gutted.

cam belt would need to be changed anyway, could be the water pumps gone that causing the head to warp, if your not doing it yourself then yeah will probly be exspensive.

there is a way of doing it yourself, whip the engine out and get the head off, i would send it to an engineering shop, have it pressure tested and then skimmed, then inspect the block carefully, get a straight rule or set square and see if the block has warped or been damaged... then simply replace the water pump, cam belt etc.... bit of a hassle to get it all out but once out i cant see if being too hard to be fair

done it twice now on my tiny ass drive, easy enough man but does take me a bit of time as i cant resist a project excuse

sorry to hear bout urs tho, get her fixed asap man!

:( ye, I'll consider taking it apart myself. I may just pull the whole thing out and stick a whole 2.0L in instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    :( ye, I'll consider taking it apart myself. I may just pull the whole thing out and stick a whole 2.0L in instead.

gave my tuppence on c16v mate, get it done as Daz recommends, i whole heartedly concuur

I'll ask my work if they'll pay for it. If not I quit!

Quoted a ballpark figure of £800 by a local garage, lol. I'm in the wrong line of work!

And my second quote: £950!!!