Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

VALVER WINTER BLUES

HAS MY VALVER GOT THE WINTER BLUES ? SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL AT THE MINUTE

when was the last time you changed the oil? whats your oil pressure like, colour etc... checked the level?

will be the hydraulic tappets taking longer to fill with oil as its colder on start up

My levels seem to shoot up but not overheating,topped it up the other day but may need a service,as long as the levels ok it should be ok ?

yeah just makesure you dont rev the car hard from start up, dont rag the car until the oil temp is upto around 100deg on the temp gauge as this will cause excess wear...as long as the oil level is ok and in good condition then its just the colder temps making it more viscous and thus making it harder to ge around the engine...

give it a service yourself, its easy, doesnt take long and the car will love you for it ;)

what should the 3rd dial reading be about ?

pressure? or the one furthest away? lol

if its level, it should be around max level when the car is on flat ground and cold. this can vary depending on when the car was last run as oil could be in the system etc....

the pressure is more of an indicator rather than an accurate gauge! been discussed many a time on here! i get 3 bar on tick over when cold and rises when pushed hard, when warm it drops to around 1 bar and responds to revs once again... can drop close to 0 when really hot but this doesnt mean its accurate, its quite common

The dial nearest driver say near speedo,mines says 6ish

thats the oil pressure, 6ish? when? start up, tick over, hot warm etc...

what oil are you using?

when warm and running,have not changed the oil personally,but i topped it up with 1540

most people run 5-40 fully synth or 10-40 semi synth, so maybe an oil change is on the cards, check its colour on the dipstick, also check the level of the oil, it may be that the sump is over filled and is creating too much pressure and causing 'piston slap' and the like.... where is the oil on your dipstick when cold and on a flat surface?