Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Cams my Sad Story (long-ish)

Hello peeps, thought I post up about my cammed Willy experience.

Just to recap I bought Kent RN2002 spec cams from RSM Motorsport, and I then got these fitted locally using standard pulleys and timing.

I got the car back and the idle sounded excellent, but I had trouble keeping the ****er alive, would always want to stall unless the engine was very warm. This is where the fun starts.

Now I had a problem before the cams, where the car would die at junctions when cold every so often say it would happen once in about 3 months, then it sorted itself out and went away, sorted :D

Anyway after getting the cams fitted this problem reappeared and more regular, e.g every time I started the car from cold. I put this down to the old problem reappearing, so I began searching CS and asking people in the know about the common problem, and had a list of things to check/ replace.

So I started...I replaced, the ISCV, Coolant Temp Sensor, Spark Plugs, Throttle body, disconnected the Lambda and still no joy, byt this time I have really lost interest in the car and the problem is annoying me.

With the cams in but timed to standard spec the car initially didn't feel any faster, but after a few miles the car car was noticably faster to me, problem being the car had lost a lot of it's initial carecteristics, the car was a ****in pig to drive, back off the throttle at 3.5k revs in any gear and the car would do kanagroo stylee down the road till I dipped the clutch, the whole driving experience was ruined for me, made driving it really hard work.

Started noticing petrol consumption was greater, I was getting 150ish miles for £30 of juice, I put this down to over enthusiastic driving on my part.

Anyway car went in yesterday to get the Kent Pulleys fitted and timed, got it back about 6last night and went for a spin, car was back to it's normal self, no kangaroo-ing and was back to the original Willy driving experience. Yeee Haaa

The main thing is *touch wood* it seems to have sorted out my stalling problem.

Moral of the story is...Cars are shit heads, ****in cam timing all along, thats what you get when you know **** all like me.

Anyway next step ring the man from Chip Wizards for some remapping goodness.

:D

Banned
    Did you find it faster post timing? Or did it just relieve the problem of kangarooing?

Good stuff at least its sorted now.

I'm buying some cams next month but won't fit them until my mate can time them for me straight after i've fitted them. Although i'm tempted by a ss fanimold that strombas organising, so might do the lot then.

Quote Originally Posted by King Stromba
    Did you find it faster post timing? Or did it just relieve the problem of kangarooing?
    To be honst I *think* it felt a tiny faster before timing, but it's prolly in my mind, as they are timed to the optimum spec Kent recommended yesterday, I would of thought they knew what they were doing so I trust there judgement, but I'm not too sure, but I'd rather the car drove like a car rather than some over the top rally car, was really hard work driving the thing, and I mean hard

J o n
    weird, my cams aint timed in and it drinks fuel like a bastard, but it drives as it used to... just much faster in all gears... no kangaroo'ing tho unless it's under 2k... the remap will fix that though...

Quote Originally Posted by big hp
    Good stuff at least its sorted now.

I'm buying some cams next month but won't fit them until my mate can time them for me straight after i've fitted them. Although i'm tempted by a ss fanimold that strombas organising, so might do the lot then.
    I'm tempted by the manifold too before the remap, but I was under the impression it would be a pain in the ass to change come MOT time and putting the Cat back on, summat about brackets Northy mentioned?

J o n
    we need to find a friendly MOT place... lol

Quote Originally Posted by TheJesus
    weird, my cams aint timed in and it drinks fuel like a bastard, but it drives as it used to... just much faster in all gears... no kangaroo'ing tho unless it's under 2k... the remap will fix that though...
    You see im not sure if its faster if any, the only cars I've come up against are an MGZR and M3 CSL and I was expected to paste them both as I drive a Willy :P

N/W Rep & Club Events Co-Ordinator GazTwo's Avatar
    .....Good news then in the end mate, good to see your happy with them.....roll on the Track Day..... :D

J o n
    lol

I knew mine was faster as soon as I went in it... then thought, well, i've not driven it for a bit so maybe it's not? I knew it was faster when I first really opened it up and went to the limiter in every gear. 3rd is now much stronger as are 4th and 5th...

In fact 5th gear has impressed me massively, the speed at which the limiter comes round is unreal. I can keep infront of some scooby's and similar to top speed now anyway, which was a bit of a shock... my mates goes past when i run out of revs and gears, so that's good enough for me... well, it's not, I want more power