Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Attention Computer nerds! C++ compilers

I'm trying to teach myself C++ At the moment I have MS Visual C++ and it's doing my head in! Dunno of it's just me but I find it completely un-user friendly. I can't start a new project even when I follow the help files.

Can anyone reccomend a compiler that's easier to use?

id say try visual basic if you can get a copy

I have a copy but its really old

Quote Originally Posted by simonr85
    id say try visual basic if you can get a copy

I have a copy but its really old
    Depends if you are trying to learn VB or C++ though!
    I've never had any problems with it, although it has been a couple of years since I have used it. Where are you getting stuck - just with the creation of a new project?

i have a book u can borrow that can teach u c++in a day

those 1 day books are a bit poo, having said that, a decent book will teach you how to use the compiler/debug/environment etc and the language... I would say that be your starting point.

It was Visual Studio rather than the language that I was having trouble with. I was finding that when I started a new project VS would open a .h file and automatically add a load of libraries. Then when I'd try to run a program I'd written, it wouldn't compile. I found that if I deleted everything from the .h file beforehand, my programs would compile. Sure that's not the proper way to do it but it worked!

Someone gave a VS2005 tutorial booklet today. I'll read that and see how I get on.

Cheers

Forum User
    Do a seach for 'visual studio express'.

These are basically free versions of C#.NET/VB.NET/SQL Server 2K5 and are small downloads due to not having the same UI bloat.

Good if you're learning a language.

IMO C++ is a pointless now unless your messing with UNIX at Uni - no one else uses it really and the dev environments are crap. Stick with dot net or Java if you must.

I use visual studio express on pcs and xcode on macs (not too bad surprisingly)

Quote Originally Posted by u33db
    IMO C++ is a pointless now unless your messing with UNIX at Uni - no one else uses it really and the dev environments are crap. Stick with dot net or Java if you must.
    LOL what are you talking about? C++ is used everywhere in Industry from low level machine control programs to mainstream windows applications. This forum is for example programmed in PHP which is based on the Zend engine which is a C++ API!

And I assume you are refering to the Visual Studio family being crap too because most begginers develop Visual C++ or C# in it. I wonder what you develop your dot net stuff in? hmmm.

With the exception of dot net, Once you know what you are doing then mostly you do not need to use a dev environment. Visual studio was Microsoft's way of getting more beginners into dot net and then expanded to include other languages. It is simple to get off the ground as it writes much of the starting code for you and points out your mistakes (or tries to).

You will find that once you get to a certain level the development API just becomes annoyingly slow and bloated.

Forum User
    I'm well aware of what C++ is used for and where but you're fooling yourself to call it 'mainstream'.

Ask yourself what skills most programming positions are advertising for...Dot NET/Java etc not C++.

Why?

Because C++ development takes longer and offers little benefits over a comparable language unless you're in a niche sector like compilers/machine code etc where yes, you'd actually need something that low level.

At the end of the day frigging about with header files should be left to 'gurus' locked in university basements...it has no commercial advantages over Dot NET/Java.