Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Its gone again........HELP ME!!

Right lads,

I getting seriously pissed of with this keeping happening now!

****ing clutch cable has snapped AGAIN!!!

Ive had this car 3 1/2 yrs now and this is the 5/6th one now.

I always keep a spare now, i expect it to happen that frequently!

Help please on why it keeps happening?

And dont say im routing it wrong!! Im 10000000% sure im not, read on!

I could line up every one of these snapped cables (of mine) and they go in the same place everytime (pic below), guaranteed.

Its just where the cable goes over the back of the pedal arm, at the bottom of the curve where it starts to straighten and go through the bulkhead.

This is the way I route my clutch cables.

Obviously from the pedal, straight down out the bulkhead, straight down again, round the back of the steering rack, along the subframe and into the 3 clips and following it round to the clutch and where it is then housed!

Im pretty sure its pefect.

Its had a new clutch and pedal in the last 12 months.

I am that pissed off that i called in at renault the other day and the guy said 'just sell the car' wanker!! I get that all the time from the parents! No, but he said they all go, its a manufacturing fault, you will just have to put up with it but surely not. He said when the AA used to go out to these, they used to use a big cable with solderless nipples, he said maybe go down that route but no too sure what he means by that.

ANY IDEAS WHY THIS KEEPS HAPPENING TO ME!!??

Cheers lads.

[img][/img]

Thats bad. Had RAC come out to my R5 after throttle cable snapped and they fabricated a cable for me there and then. Was obviously different to Renault one. Thats prolly what the mechanic meant.

Forum User
    They do go alot, try a new pedal assemble from Renault, £23 iirc, bit of a bitch to fit....imagine lying on your back on your seats, legs in air, head in footwell

Are you a bit quick with your changes? You might need to drive it a bit more gently ;) lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lunner
    They do go alot, try a new pedal assemble from Renault, £23 iirc, bit of a bitch to fit....imagine lying on your back on your seats, legs in air, head in footwell
    Well I actually bought a new pedal kit last week when i got the cable but i really really dont want to fit it as ive done one before and theyre possibly the worst job to do on these, and it will involve so much swearing!!

Do you really think this could be the difference?

I dont really see how changing the pedal could work??

I keep thinking of tryinf to route the cable differently in the bay.

Do we all agree the main issue is the amount of cures/bends the cable takes in the bay is the biggest prob?

Quote Originally Posted by white16valver
    Are you a bit quick with your changes? You might need to drive it a bit more gently ;) lol :P
    Not really mate. I dont thrash the tits off it everywhere or go daft on changes really.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobba
    Thats bad. Had RAC come out to my R5 after throttle cable snapped and they fabricated a cable for me there and then. Was obviously different to Renault one.
    Thats prolly what the mechanic meant.
    Yep understood that bit, just didnt really know what he meant by solderless nipples, dont see how this could help?

iv never had a cable snap on me. had the ratchets go twice on the pedal but never a cable. must be the routing, if theyv been reno cables id say tbh. you had a clutch fitted?

Quote Originally Posted by 2 live

iv never had a cable snap on me. had the ratchets go twice on the pedal but never a cable. must be the routing, if theyv been reno cables id say tbh. you had a clutch fitted?
    Yeah i ve had a new one done about 14 months ago, maybe less. Gen ren cables all the time.

How could it be the clutch? Obviously fitted incorrectly? But dont see how this could effect something like the cable?

would depend on the stregnth of the diaphragm springs, this will affect pressure needed to operate, this will stretch the cable/put more strain on it.