Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

just to posst findings from gunnerchip

having had my new chip soldered by kj16v, and just come back from a quick spin, i thought id give those of you yet to chip a quick summary. First of all im testing on a williams 3, standard - other than itg air filter and magnex exhaust.
    Essentially, what gunner says himself about these chips is pretty spot on. dont expect much and you'll be pleasantly suprised. I found it to be more responsive bottom end as well as up top, with a bit more pull throughout the gears. Hitting 60 seemed easier shall we say. The rev limiter is raised from approx 6500 to 7100, which is probably the best bit. 'bouncing' off the limiter constantly annoying before, so very pleased with raised limiter.
    For the price that gunner sells them, this is a must have mod really. especially if you're not big on 'modding'. it doesnt take away from what renault gave you originally, but there is enough of a difference to make it worth your while. The only issue is getting sumone to solder it for you. I found it difficult to get anyone to even touch my ecu. if you havnt, do it. unless u plan bigger and better mods....but for sumone like me who enjoys only a slight modification to original design, this was spot on. cheers gunner and kj16v.

what do you mean soldered???? you have to get someone to solder the chip into a circuit board on the ECU??? i thought they just clipped/snapped into position on the ECU??? its something i may go for but all this soldering thing sounds dodgy to me (i know it something simple probably but dont wanna go ****ing the car up)
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Forum User
    You need to remove the std chip and solder a carrier in to take the new one, then you can quickly interchange them, i'm sure if you ask gunner he'll run you off a std map too

fatboy lunner is right. its fairly easy just get sumone who knows what theyre doing. u take ecu out, the electrician will desolder the chip, solder in a chip carrier, as lunner says - then u can pop the new chip in, or when it comes to it if u wish, pop ur old one back in. not that difficult for a half decent solderer. worth it i think

anyone from essex on here willing to help me out? dont want any old tom dick or harry doing it....
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

just do it to a valver ecu n keep the willy one as is. if u want to change the chips then ur going to have to remove the ecu anyway, so is easier, and safer, to use 2 diff ecu's

Forum User
    all i did with mine is un-solder the std chip and solder in a adapter so can plug n play with chips!

Quote Originally Posted by 2 live
    just do it to a valver ecu n keep the willy one as is. if u want to change the chips then ur going to have to remove the ecu anyway, so is easier, and safer, to use 2 diff ecu's
    So would there be no difference between a "gunner chipped willy ecu" and a "gunner chipped valver ecu"?

As ive had my gunnerchip ages just was trying to get hold of another willy ECU as dont wanna mess mine up and this would help greatly

Quote Originally Posted by FATBOY
    anyone from essex on here willing to help me out? dont want any old tom dick or harry doing it....
    Im in kent but my dad said he'd give it a go if you wanna come down one sunday!

I love my gunnerchip! :P

* Uncle Schakal * knitted by nanas since 1995 , now available with added GSOH
    i thoguht gunner said his chip did not work on valver ecus