Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Petrol dripping out exhaust

My mate got williams 2 and im posted on his behalf. He drained and changed the oil but when we turned the engine over it wouldn't start.

We checked that it had a spark which it did and also fuel was defintely getting in because it was leaking where his exhuast is currently blowing.

In the end we kept it turning over for a period of time and it started but then just cut out even when trying to rev it/hold the revs.

Basically it takes ages to start but once it does it cuts out immediately leaving a strong smell of petrol throughout.

What could cause this? Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPLES VALVER 123
    My mate got williams 2 and im posted on his behalf. He drained and changed the oil but when we turned the engine over it wouldn't start.
    We checked that it had a spark which it did and also fuel was defintely getting in because it was leaking where his exhuast is currently blowing.
    It's probably oil or water at the exhaust leak, as the fuel should evaporate with the exhaust temperature. Is he sure that it wasn't leaking fluids before the oil change? Did he do anything unusual with the oil filter swap? Or spill oil while topping up? Other than the unusual exhaust leak, it appears to be the normal starting problems of mk1 clios.

With the fuel smell, I would suspect fuel pressure first. A few simple thing to check out before trying others things. Is the fuel filter very old? Check that the fuel pump is whirring properly and not seizing occasionally. Check fuel pump connector and fuse is clean and contacting. Check that short rubber fuel hose above the aux belt is properly mated.

id say fuel pump.....is fuel coming to the rail ok ?

the plus are wet through with petrol.

nothing else was done just drained oil filled up and wont start.

its got a spark and seems to be geting a lot of petrol what makes them overfuel?

What's "the plus"? Hard to say it's overfueling just by looking. Another old trick with fuel smell is try and track it down with your nose. I am guessing he might have dis-lodge some hoses while changing the oil filter. And it's now leaking onto the engine, which sounds like a fire hazard if the engine or exhaust warms up to operating temperature.

Well 4 things are needed for an engine to run... air, spark, fuel and compression.

You say its getting fuel and a spark. What about the other two items on that list?

right desparate for your help, called the rac out they had a look around and they said oil in the sump is full of petrol. the dipstick was showing a much higher reading and you could smell it also the oil was very thin from being mixed with the petrol

For some reason the fuel is leaking into the sump

Theres a quarter of a tank despaired and my mate only tryed turning engine over.

Why and how is the petrol leaking into the sump.

The fuel pump primes then stops like normal but when hes turned it over and then switches of you can hear a noise in engine bay some where

we changed the oil and relay and the same happed and agin theres petrol getiing into the oil.

desperate for your help.

Forum User
    i could be wrong but sounds to me as tho the fuel entering the cylinders isnt being burn and the engine is flooded but seriously flooded

Forum User
    Have you tried taking the plugs out, spinning engine over, then leave for an hour or so for the fuel to evaporate. Then clean plugs and put them back in.