Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Turbo Smoking Problem

I have a blue smoke on idle issue, its smokes like a good un but only sometimes and not immediatly. whilst driving its fine, or clean enough not to see anything in wingmirrors etc, but stop at the lights and its plain embaressing!

engine has just been rebuilt with new pistons, so its possible i've fubared up somewhere there and the rings havent bedded in, but its done 200 miles now so i'd expect them to of sealed by now?

but been reading round and seems it could be turbo itself? i've checks oil feed and drain and both seem fine, so the units gettin oil, but its a bit noisey on idle, makes a ticking sound similar to the injectors?!

either way i'm just looking for some advice, whats the best way to check piston rings? and will it be okay to do whatever check is necessary on the engine now with only 200 miles on it since new pistons etc? how can i get the turbo checked aswell if its not the rings?

any help much appreciated!

cheers

Coops

Forum User
    compression check or leak down for rings. could it be valve stems.

as maxi says, leak down test will be your best bet.

what were the ring end gaps like?

the ticking, is this mainly when its cold? dont forget forged pistons are generally noised than std when not fully hot.

nah, its not the pistons, its when warm and the noise is definatly coming from the turbo itself, not the injectors/tappets or b/e.

wtf is a leak down test and how?

ring gaps? was i supposed to check them before fitting the pistons? bores were within tolerance for std bore rings according to guy who honed the block?

rule number one when building an engine....never assume something is machined correctly, always check yourself. the ring end gaps and bore clearances should really have been checked.

how did u run it in?

leak down test pressurises the cylinder and measures leakage by comparing pressure held compared to pressure entering. a local garage may have one? i have one but your a bit far away! failing that, a basic compression test will give you a less conclusive idea if there may be a fault.

Forum User
    as above. stan knows his shit.

Just burn the mofo

rule number 2 of engine building, i have no clue, so when i asked on the forums how to fit pistons noone mentioned checkin clearances! i was told to 'slap em in' so i did!

i'll check over the road for leak down thingie, failing that i'll do a basic check n see on the drive.

only covered 200 miles upto now, run in method has basically been after 1st start i let it idle to op temp, then left it to bleed cooling system for 20 mins or so.

was then left for few days as i finished piecing bodywork etc back together. actual driving so far has consisted of keeping below 4.5krpm on every gear and plenty of engine breaking

oh and thanks Daz, way to make a guy feel good

Nah no-one has a sense of humor anymore

smoke on idle could well be turbo - if you've got the cash you can send it away to TurboTechnics or similar to be looked at and have the seals replaced