Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Is The Williams Really That Special?

I was thinking earlier on, is the Williams all that?
    Yes it is a very good handling car, goes well and looks great.
    But its nothing which rival manufactuers have simular and as time has gone on there are plenty of cars which have simular characteristics.

Looking at the special edition cars the Williams appears to have just been cobbled out of spare parts and taken well to.
    For example the E30 M3 has many parts on it which where for that model, and the same with some other holomogated cars.

Discuss

Forum User
    I don't have a Williams (but do have an e30!) and my view is that Williams are most definately SPECIAL.
    Yes they are great to drive and you don't see them every day(well not round here anyway!) but there is something extra that i can't put my finger on?...............magical and hasn't lost it's appeal!
    If i ever get that fortune,there will be a GT3 parked alongside a Williams 1 . :D

i have owned quite a few cars and i would say beyond all doubt that the williams is the best by a long way
    lots of fun to drive and gives you confidence behind the wheel i know is not the be all and end all of all cars but alot of ppl give it a good looking at and seem give it respect
    used every day with no probs
    in short if the car isnt special it makes me feel special (in a good way folks)

the only down side is it temps me to go a tad faster than i normally would and i never have my tunes playing so i can hear the noise with out interruption

the williams is king 9 out of 10 cats prefer it

I think it is.
    I hate mine.. it's never right, yet, I love it.. because it's a Williams.

Argh

Location: Williams Land Cars: Minty Williams 2 & Now 0171 - AV IT !
    there is not many around i love old cars to tell you the truth had a new one and they just dont feel the same

love both my williams even though 0171 is a pain

clio16valver.co.uk - Mk1 Clio 16v Dedicated Club
    obviously iam going to say this lol

But imo it isnt that special - special edt cars are ones that stand out, like the v6 clio, as said an E30, etc etc

Cars that are the exact replica of a lesser model but have a few suspension and engine mods imo isnt that special and wasnt worth the asking price when they 1st came out#

however, i think that if Renault stuck to what they orginaly said and only made Williams 1's and no 2/3's, they still wouldnt be 'special' in my eyes, but would be alot more appriciated and more of a collectors car

Quote Originally Posted by Williams-Jr
    Cars that are the exact replica of a lesser model but have a few suspension and engine mods imo isnt that special and wasnt worth the asking price when they 1st came out#
    Do you exactly how much the Williams was, compared to the equivilant Valver when new, Gav? And do you know the price of all its rivals to judge that its asking price was too high? And have you even driven a decent Williams?!

What makes a car special is the way it drives, not the parts that have been put on it. It's special because it drives better and is more fun than other hot hatches. Some people will buy a Williams just because it's a Williams, of course, but then that just proves it is special.

Adam - The E30 M3 cost obscene amounts of money when it was new (the equivilant of about £60k now), hence why they could afford to put bespoke parts on.

A williams was £14995 new, the valver was £14450.

Back in the day.

I agree with Gav, I dont think they are THAT special, although I appreciate the williams. Its a brill car dont get me wrong, but its an old version of the now cup model or trophy.

Cars don't have to be Ltd Editions or stand out to be special, look at the 205 GTI! It's one of the best drivers cars ever, the Williams is even better, hence why they are classed as 'special'.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo
    Cars don't have to be Ltd Editions or stand out to be special, look at the 205 GTI! It's one of the best drivers cars ever, the Williams is even better, hence why they are classed as 'special'.
    But the 205 was a general hot hatch, not a limited edition so you cannot compare. The 205 GTi would have been considered a competitior and in the same class as a valver not the williams.

The williams is slightly better version of a valver, that has been tweaked an a few bits changed to make it a little more special. Thats all. As said its modern day equivalent is the R26 or R27, both made to celebrate F1 wins as was the williams. Limited editions, tweaked versions of the hot hatches.