Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum User

Modding a williams

Have had a search about the forum over the last week or so and was wondering what mods most people do to their williams.

Like what is worthwhile and what isnt.

Intake - standard airbox with a panel filter or induction kit or closed like BMC etc.?

Exhaust - I would want a quiet system with some gains, magnex, supersprint and then decat or not? Oh yeah and manifold to.

Suspension - Lower or not? Coilovers? Anti roll bar?

Gear change - Quickshift?

Also wheels do most people then fit 195 50 tyres as they are cheaper? Also many people fitted light weight 16s instead of 15s or this knacker the handling?

Cheers guys, if I get a williams I would probably do a few mods but nothing that could not be put back standard.

Airbox - Standard with an aftermarket filter is the best option really

Exhausts - being Biased I'd recommend Powerflow for a custom jobby - mines about as quiet as aftermarkets exhausts get

Suspension - Why mess with perfection? I've had a lowered williams and now the same car standard - standard pisses all over it in my personal opinion - day to day its spot on and I defy anyone to tell me my car is any slower point to point than when it was lowered - its far more adjustable standard therefore more confidence inspiring so you tend to push a bit harder

Gear change - quickshifts are a waste of time I think quite a few on here will agree - lowers the knob too so you have to reach further down to change which takes longer and wastes the time you've supposedly changed! Some are also pants made so you get selector issues

Wheels - most change to 195/50/R15s for their cheapness and in my opinion again give you more feedback through the wheel

Alloys - Anyone who's performance orientated on here in general will always stick to 15's, 16s kill acceleration and usually increase unsprung weight which is a bad thing - plus its a willy and its not allowed

:D

Forum User
    Cheers for the reply mate, you know your stuff.

So even coilovers are no better than the standard setup?

Also what about strut brace and a chip?

Any other things that I have missed that you would recommend?

Forum User
    Oh yeah plus - are even the B&M short shifters rubbish on the Clio? Was just I have one on my current car and was superb. Didn't shorten the length of the shifter just the throw.

The quickshift and the coilovers I can't comment on as I've never had them on mine but thats the general feeling I've read about quickshifts on a 16v/williams

Coilovers are again all about personal preference It'd be great if someone has been through all the options on one car themselves - I've been curious about coilovers for a while but I'd be running them at standard height if I did but it seems that most people whack em down on coils so its hard to say how they fare...

Chip is one thing I'm getting done soon to raise the limiter as sometimes its annoying bouncing off it when the car wants to keep pulling - plus you'd be able to creep upto 60mph in 2nd instead of third...

Strutbraces again are one thing I'm considering - I do know its bad to put them on willy 3's due to the sunroof and the flex it creates on the roof (creases the corners of the sunroof) but as I have a willy 2 that 'shouldn't' affect me..

I don't know why but people seem to be put off strut braces?

Forum User
    Ok thanks again for the info.

Will leave you be now.

Now get to sleep!!

Quote Originally Posted by soupie69uk
    LOL!
    Daz?

Mat.

Quote Originally Posted by MatBrown
    Quote Originally Posted by soupie69uk
    LOL!
    Daz?

Mat.
    I'm sorry you driven my car mat?

I know a lot more than people make out biatch!

Hehe.

Only playing fella.

Mat.