Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cams For Valver

Forum User

Cams For Valver

Hey guys...

following on from the rather heated debate on head work...

I am going to buy a set of piper cams as ive decided to go down road of just doing some head work on my valver. Im going to be using my car on a daily basis so turbo etc isnt really a feasible option.
    So my questions are...

which piper cams should i go for? and what do i need to accompany them?

Im looking at either the fast road cams (264 duration) or the ultimate road cams (276 duration) - im really leaning towards the ultimates, mainly because in combination with the other head work i have planned, i wanna see as many gains as possible for my n/a valver engine.

I will be getting vernier pulleys to go with them but what other bits n bobs will i need for the setup to be complete, e.g, valve springs etc.

Many Thanks

Mike

depends how wild u want to go matey, 276 may well run lumpy, but with the verniers that can be timed out i believe

for best gains decent head work coupled with the 276 will see the most power i would of thought, if properly timed and mapped

so long as u only up limiter to 7500 or there abouts std head internals (springs etc) will be fine, its only if u run stupidly wild cams or very high rpm's that valve bounce etc will become an issue

Forum User
    buy cat cams over piper or kent every day of the week mate.

as for valve springs etc depends if your intending on increasing the rpm really.

Forum User
    Catcams? Ill have a look at that then. iirc, theyre the ones stan use?

I dont see the point in incresing the limiter to allow higher revs without major mods like turbos or tb's...after all the powerband stops at about 6500 rpm doesnt it? And if i get it remapped, wouldnt that allow me to amend the powerband to my choosing, giving more torque lower down similar to the williams?

Forum User
    yes that what stan sells. or ben R. power band is sort of controlled by camshaft design really. no i,m not saying increase the revs just that the standard valve springs work fine if you don,t. so just a set of cams verniers and possibly head work is where to spend the money. not on solid lifters titanium retainers and high poundage valve springs.

if your on std bottom end and inlet I would go for Catcams 5502225, with their verniers. Check out www.catcams.be. You cant order direct, but I can supply them. The cams are £450, pulleys £200. Defo worth it over piper imo.

Forum User
    Whats the duration on those stan? Do they manufacture cams with similar duration to the piper ultimate road cams that i mentioned above?

Is there any particular reason why catcams are better?

Mike

better profiles, better manufacturing processes, better materials.....better cams.

Check the website for specifics mate. Though, theres little point in comparing singular aspects like duration...it means little, theres alot more to a profile than lift and duration.

Forum User
    So in a nutshell, if i was looking to achieve 170-180 bhp from a F7P engine with other headwork and a decent remap, it would be possible to achieve that with the catcams you have recommended?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by stan
    better profiles, better manufacturing processes, better materials.....better cams.
    Yeah I heard someone had a set with a bent pulley recently.