Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help

Forum User

help

just come to change the alternator belt cam to lossen the allen key bolt on the tension pully and looks like someone has already had a go and rounded the alley bolt off so i cant loossen it :(

What can i do to get it off and put a new one on ????

it the rounding is the issue, get a hacksaw/hack saw blade or a dremel with a cutting disk and cut into the head of the bolt, this will let you turn it with a flat bladed screw driver.

Andy

or just loosen off the alt to get the belt off, put the bottom bolt in and lever the alt on the inlet mani (dont be hanging of it and damage the inlet man though ) gives you enough to get the belt back on and the alt in place, had to do it on an old engine of mine once.

Forum User
    If i just leave the tension pully and do it the alterntor way will i be able to get enough tension with out using the tension pully ??

thanks

yes if there is enough tension in the old belt (or there was) then yes, if its was too loose, unfortunately not

sounds like a bit of a bodge to me :P

Quote Originally Posted by AndyFielder
    sounds like a bit of a bodge to me :P
    its a temporary solution if you need to use the car as it doesnt use any other moutning points, bolt positions ect as the alt only fixes in one way!. then order a new bolt and maybe a new tensioner wheel from renault and change it when you have the time.

Forum User
    There is no tension in it what so ever so that isnt going to work i cant get the bolt off at all :(

Any other suggestion of how to remove it once off i wll buy a new pully and bolt from reno.....

Forum User
    easier way to move rounded off allen bolts is to hammer a spline tool into them and then replace them.

Forum User
    hi all well ive treid everything liquid cold metal bonding an allen key in the hole but no good trying to get a chisle in to hit it but nothing is working :(

its off to a garage on thurs to see if they can spot weld an allen key to the bolt to try and get it off...

If this fails think im going to have to have the engine taken out :9 all this just to fit a new alternator belt :(

any more ideas would be great thanks