Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Turbo conversion for williams

I was wondering what parts would be needed and a rough cost for this.

Would be looking at doing all the work with a little help from my friends.

Is it possible to have a conversion done for less than £2000 that is reliable? am thinking about getting another williams as want to keep the 1 i have standard

Forum User
    You could do it for 2k but not properly

Quote Originally Posted by Justin..
    You could do it for 2k but not properly
    ? would it be unreliable?

whats a realistic figure (i wont be paying labour)

Forum User
    Well, without labour you could pssibly do it for 2-3k. I take it your going DIY? MAXIBOY will be along soon no doubt as he is doing a turbo conversion currently

They only prob I see with a turbo conversion for DIY, is the cost of the ECU. (not sure where the standard modified stands on that though).

The other major cost is low comp pistons (Stan may tell you it fine to run high compression with a turbo, but still waiting for a response to that... :P )

You can pick up earls connections(braided oil/water lines stuff), second hand garrett turbo for very cheap. I would prob get the exhaust manifold from BB performance, but manufacturer/adapt everything else, to reduce cost.

Matthew

can use renault 21 turbo injectors and map sensor with fastchip ecu if you happy with low boost version to cut costs. should also be able to leave the engine internals as they are for low boost. can use a t28 turbo from a pulsar or nissan s14 200sx. there are loads of oe intercoolers that could be used such as the cossie 2wd one. will also need a new clutch, a r5gtt uprated clutch will be fine for low boost.

if you are doing it to a williams can always generate some extra cash by selling the williams engine and using a valver engine to turbo.

if i was you though i would try get stand alone management like adaptronic, it isnt that much more money in the scheme of things and at least then if you get the urge to go for more power by getting low comp forged pistons etc you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Scougar
    They only prob I see with a turbo conversion for DIY, is the cost of the ECU. (not sure where the standard modified stands on that though).

The other major cost is low comp pistons (Stan may tell you it fine to run high compression with a turbo, but still waiting for a response to that... :P )
    the cost of an ecu is peanuts in comparison to the rest of the work of doing it right.

yours and mine definition of what works are CLEARLY different.

what response are you waiting for?

It says he's waiting to know if it is OK to run a turbo without low comp pistons.

I believe it is on a low boost conversion only, for bigger boost you will need the lower compression. See K Tech website for full details mate.
    :D

Forum User
    K-tec dont advertise the turbo kit any more though but stuill have pistons and con rods

Forum User
    low boost self sourced parts can be had for £1500

high boost for just shy of £2000

big ££ parts are the manifold and down pipe and the ecu chip.