Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: £800 clutch?!

Forum User

£800 clutch?!

When I bought my Williams 3 a couple of months ago I knew the clutch needed adjusting but as it had a new cable and 'new' clutch (prev. owner had it done at Mr Clutch so prob just recon'd). The biting point was right at the bottom and after an hour of driving it drops below the level of the floor, with crunching to match.. :(

So it's now had over £200 of TLC, cable re-routed as it was badly fitted, missing/loose bolts sorted and new pedal with new self-adjusting ratchet thingy, missing heatshield replaced, and whilst I'll admit it's better (i.e. the biting point is an inch or two higher now), the Renault dealer did admit that it wasn't perfect.

They said the only thing left to do, if I can't live with it as it is now, would be a whole new clutch mechanism which they reckon is about £800 Does sound about right??!

They said something about how Mr Clutch probably only replaced a few key components, so if anything else is worn within the clutch you can't get the individual parts from Renault, only the whole clutch kit.

I need to go for an extended test drive to see if the overheating/dopping biting point is now fixed but I'm not sure it is...

Forum User
    Sorry, just realised this probably should gone in the 'Mechanical' forum...

dont get it done at a dealership!!!!!!!!!!
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Forum User
    stan can do one for about 500 quid less than that i think.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by FATBOY

After Mr Clutch's hack job I'm not sure I trust it anywhere else other than my local Renault place. Did a bit of research on them first and they seem to be pretty highly regarded and they certainly know the Williams well (R-Sport in Wimbledon).

The Mr Clutch job was such a bodge that it made me think your average garage just wouldn't be up to the job.

Quote Originally Posted by willywannabe
    Quote Originally Posted by FATBOY

After Mr Clutch's hack job I'm not sure I trust it anywhere else other than my local Renault place. Did a bit of research on them first and they seem to be pretty highly regarded and they certainly know the Williams well (R-Sport in Wimbledon).

The Mr Clutch job was such a bodge that it made me think your average garage just wouldn't be up to the job.
    i know what ya mean mate and thats your perogative, but i would shop around tho..
    CLIO WILLIAMS 0215

Forum User
    Fair enough, I'm just looking through old posts on here actually about the clutch for other opinions, as although I'd be happy for them to do the work, not sure I like the price!!!

di it urself

or if ur not that daring, my local garage did it for me for £400 so its definatly worth shopping around

Forum User
    When I got my Valver clutch done it was IRO £50 for Valeo clutch from GSF and my local garage did it in 6 hours via moving the subframe at £25 an hour. They reckoned the cable was harder to replace than the clutch itself (already had cable as heard all the snapping stories)