Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: De-cat

De-cat

What does this involve and what sort of cost would I be looking at to do it? My car went in for a service at the w'end and the guy said it was the catalyst making the rattling at tick-over, he said it would be better to de-cat it as you'd get more power and put the cat back on for MOT's (providing it still works!) Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers
    Col

N/W Rep & Club Events Co-Ordinator GazTwo's Avatar
    I put one on mine Col when I got the exhaust done, is just a straight peice of pipe to replace the CAT, I can't tell if it's made any difference but if your CAT's nackered u might aswell put one on and save it for MOT's.

I got a second hand de-cat for £30 but I think BB do one for around £50....4 bolts and it's done.

Easy enough job, 4 bolts and its done. I never really noticed much in the way of a power increase. Main difference was exhaust note, just a bit louder.

Forum User
    Are the silenced de-cats any good? Or does the fact that its got a silencer in it defeat the object? I'd like a de-cat for mine, but the exhaust is already a bit louder than i would really like

Forum User
    i've got a silenced magnex one, much better than the k-tec one IMO, and it has made no difference to the exhaust loudness

Forum User
    Did you notice an improvement with the power then? As i've got my Williams registered/insured under my girlf's mum, mods have to be discreet!

Forum User
    yeap, can definitely notice a power gain. was 3 up on sunday and the car felt like it was pulling with just me in!

Cheers Gaz

Does it matter that I've got a devil cup system, would I have to order a straight piece from them?? I'm gonna get the emissions checked and if the cat still works I'll put in a straight piece otherwise might as well buy a new cat, £50 sounds cheap I've heard they can be expensive £150+

Col

Forum User
    A new cat from renault is very expensive, something like £400, but a de-cat is just a straight pipe. A silenced one is a bit more expensive 70-100, but the only decent silenced one i've seen is the magnex

Forum User
    Where did you get the magnex one from?