Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Power Steering Pump

How difficult are these to replace? How long did it take anyone who has done it?

If you were to drive a car with a broken pump, i.e without power steering, how difficult is it to drive? I had thought before it would be the same as any non-power steering model but have read something about different ratios on the steering rack meaning it's rediculously heavy if you just drive with a broken pump.

Thanks

Its heavier than a std manual rack but not much more, my pump is on its way out and sometimes doesn't pump so its stiff then all of a sudden pumps and the steering lightens up.

Time for a new pump, its not a difficult job, just time consuming, i changed the water pump on mine and its basically the same job.

to hard to drive without a p/s pump not like a normal non p/s
    took me about 2 hours to change the pump
    its fiddly more than hard

Thanks for the answers - so would you say it would be a bit of a nightmare to drive it like that on a longish drive?

i drove my hybrid for 2 month's without power steering, bought a new pump, started removing everything off to take the old one out only to realise it was the metal pipe that was leeking.

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by midge
    i drove my hybrid for 2 month's without power steering, bought a new pump, started removing everything off to take the old one out only to realise it was the metal pipe that was leeking.
    pmsl

we've all done similar things..

Forum User
    Whilst on this subject. Mine is on it's way out, it groans like a banchie and is quite embarrasing on the garage forecourt! Can the part be sourced easily? i've spent many a night on the internet and no joy. Can any one point me in the right direction for a replacement.

Cheers

i literally just sold mine a couple of days ago, i see your from redhill? im in coulsdon, what car do you drive?

Quote Originally Posted by azza
    Whilst on this subject. Mine is on it's way out, it groans like a banchie and is quite embarrasing on the garage forecourt! Can the part be sourced easily? i've spent many a night on the internet and no joy. Can any one point me in the right direction for a replacement.

Cheers
    Just checking but you have looked at the PAS fluid level? I thought mine was on the way out cause it made such a racket but it was just low on fluid!

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by midge
    i literally just sold mine a couple of days ago, i see your from redhill? im in coulsdon, what car do you drive?