Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Strange misfire on hybrid

For those that don't know i have a willy 3 engine in my valver shell on 75k.

I've noticed over the last month or so that there's a strange misfire. Not when you start it, and not when you drive it normally, just when you boot it.

It only seems to happen in second gear (possibly third too), and it just seems to miss when i hit 5000RPM, feels as though i hit the limiter and jolts the car quite violently.

Any ideas what this could be?

I'm going to try swapping the rotor arm, dizzy cap, and leads from my valver engine as they're pretty much brand new.

Could it possibly be coil pack?

Thanks for any ideas!

Driven through any puddles?

Maybe wet ECU?

Well, it has been very wet recently, i'll have to check, no idea whether it's wet or dry.

You think that might cause it?

Had the problem on my hybrid and the williams ...but both run no splash guards or much else lol

I need a good scuttle to keep the water out ....TBH ive not checked the williams but it's be happening after the cars been swimming lol

I can't say 100% it will be this with out hearing and feeling the splutter ....but valvers hate the damp at the best of times

Had the problem on my hybrid and the williams ...but both run no splash guards or much else lol

I need a good scuttle to keep the water out ....TBH ive not checked the williams but it's be happening after the cars been swimming lol

I can't say 100% it will be this with out hearing and feeling the splutter ....but valvers hate the damp at the best of times

Shit ****ing bastard forum

Funnily enough mine doesn't have the front splash guard on the drivers side, nor does it have the cover over the cambelt at the bottom. Need to put those on.. Wouldn't of thought that would cause the ECU to get wet though.

Been through quite a few floods recently so guess that can't be helping.

Will swap the leads and stuff over and get the splash guards back on and see how we go!

Any other suggestions welcome!

IIIRC scott had this problem with his williams, i think it was something to do with a fault crank sensor?

Think i might have discovered what the problem is. She broke down tonight when i booted it and hit the 5kRPM misfire/redline. The engine just died and would not start again, there didn't seem to be any ignition, the plugs were not sparking, and the fuel pump was not priming.

Turned out my plugs were covered in oil as my rocker cover gasket needs replacing, which was causing the plugs to short out and blow a fuse. Replaced the fuse and it fired up, until it hit 5kRPM and it blew the fuse again.

Drove it gently all the way home and it was fine, so i will replace the rocker cover gasket and get rid of the excess oil on Friday and that should sort it.

Will post the results!

Cheers for suggestions all!

Which fuse did it blow?

Mat.