Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Upper cam belt cover - how the ****...?

...do I get to most of the torx bolts holding this cover on? I've slackened the right-hand (gearbox) engine mount and raised the engine on the jack, but I'd have to raise it really far in order to reach them. I don't how far I can go before I break something.
    I'd just take the bloody engine out but I haven't got an engine hoist.

How am I supposed to get to the ****ing bolts. And to make things worse the bolts are tighter than a nats chuff for so I need to be able to get at them properly so I can use my super-human strength on them.

Forum User
    Im not sure, but maybe through the wheel arch?

use a torx bit from a scredriver set, one of the really short ones then use a 10mm spanner on the end of it, fiddly as hell but it works

Forum User
    i had the same problem, gave up last time, but gonna attempt it again

They go stupid tight, just make sure you don't round them off or its defo engine out and drill out time, apparently you can jack it right up and get a torx socket and rachet in there.

I used a torx allen key last time, and used a ring spanner as a 'cheater bar'

I tried using a bit and spanner but they're so ****ing tight I need to put force on them.

Anyone nearby got an engine hoist?

use a tube of metal (old broom handle?) on the end of the ring spanner

Forum User
    use another spanner

gonna tackle it tomorrow when i take the head off (assistance if you dont mind hooligan!!!,txt nyk if your up for it)will get nyk to post as soon as its off,should be about dinner.

Problem is because of the shootable decision to use recessed torx bolts, I'm boring out the bolt. I've soaked the bolts in WD40 and I'll try again tomorrow. I'd rip the cover off but the damn thing's metal!

If I can't do it does anyone within 50-odd miles of Oxford got an engine hoist I could borrow?

Which one are you having problems with?

Top oens should be easy and you should be able to get to them with a good 3/8" spanner and torx bit.

With the bottom ones you have to be very careful not to round the head out. They are a bitch but with preperation should come out ok, just make sure you remove the top engine mount, including assembly to the chassis, this will give you plenty of room, jack the fukker up until the downpipe is resting on the steering rack. You should be able to jack the engine up about 3". You may need to undo the dogbone mount, can't remember. Only 1 bolt so v easy though.

With access made use a small torx bit from a screwdriver set, as coop's suggested, with a 10mm spanner. It's v fiddly but doable. If you have something to slip over the end of the spanner, like a jack handle, that will give you all the leverage you need. Just make sure you use one hand to lever, the other down the side of the mount to keep pressure on to the torx bit.

A 1/4" ratchet and small torx bit also works, and is not at all fiddly. Halfrauds sell a restricted access 1/4" professional ratchet, very handy as its very accurate, i.e. clicks over so small movements register!

If you've bored the bolt head out then your fukked, lol. You could try the next size up and try to bash it on somehow