Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nobody will fit my gunnerchip.............

I have tried loads of places near where I live in west london and no tv repair place will touch it. I have called a few vehicle electricians and they wont touch it because they say they are afraid that they will be held responsible if I fry my engine!!!!! :(

I dont dare try it myself as I have a vague memory of my soldering skills from school and they were not good.....

Still hoping to find somebody to do it.........

I had a real problem trying to find someone to do mine as well. Tried TV repair people and they didn't want to touch it, same excuse, didn't want to be held responsible. I wouldn't bother with auto electricians either.

In the end I rang a local performance tuner, they recommended a local robotics/electronics company whom they send all their work of that type to. So you may want to try ringing a few performance garages and asking who they use, pretty sure they will be able to recommend someone.

There is another problem with the clio PCB's. Does yours look like it's covered with green resin? If so this is a type of epoxy resin, which is sprayed on all over the board before the chips are soldered on. God knows why renault do this but I suspect to help prevent people tampering/chipping. It just means that whoever does the work for you will take a lot longer because they have to be very careful when scraping away the epoxy from under the chip. This also means that the kind of work is beyond your typical kind of tv repair man.

In the end it cost me 30quid for mine, think the guy said he would charge 60 in future if it had the same problem as above (epoxy). But it did take him around 3 hours to do mine! So not bad really when you consider superchips really rip you off.

If you want I can post info for the company I used. Very nice and friendly small family run business, the guy was very much in to chipping cars himself. Said he would be happy to do work for people I recommend. They are based in Gosport, Hampshire.

Location: Williams Land Cars: Minty Williams 2 & Now 0171 - AV IT !
    the green liquid is sprayed on over the assembled board from memory. u can buy a brush on liquid remover that takes it off.

Hope your guy didnt scrape your ecu summeh !

Nah he knew what he was doing alright. They do robotics work for the MOD, so this was simple stuff for him I think. Said he had seen many before like that before from Renault. The green stuff was actually applied underneath my map chip as well. Just depends on the factory, whether they give a "liberal" spraying or not to that particular board.

i may need the info for your guy summeh, I'm just waiting on hearing back from Rajk who is on these forums as he has a mate who could possibly do it for me.

Did you post your ecu to the guy in gosport summeh? Its a bit far to drive for me.....

i've just bought a superchip off someone, will this need soldering too?

3hours!!! it really is a a 15 min job at most! The longest parts is getting the ECU casing out tof the car, the soldering etc, should only take minutes at most

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMonkey
    3hours!!! it really is a a 15 min job at most! The longest parts is getting the ECU casing out tof the car, the soldering etc, should only take minutes at most
    Thats not true.

As said before if you read my first post, it really depends on how the PCB was coated at the factory.

My example was a Williams ECU, this was covered in epoxy, even underneath the chip. So the guy had to scrape under the chip, this being a very delecate process.

I would love to see you do mine in 15 minutes monkey, would have saved me a few bob Also, have you actually done this yourself and it only taken 15 minutes? Even if there was no epoxy holding it down, I don't think thats a realistic figure!

Valvers etc may be different, depends on the process used at the factory. As said in my post, I was just giving my example.

Hulio, yeah he said that posting them would be fine iirc. Really you best bet is to ring them and find out. Now I need to remember the name of the company

haha ok i am liar then.

If you are competant with a soldering iron you could do this in 15 mins. in which I mean not taking the ecu out of the car.

How hard is it to solder in a carrier, with a few pins, then plug the ship in, viola sorted?

I know its daunting for most, I wouldnt **** about with engine bits generally but I will have a go at the electronics, its what you feel comfortable with.

Speak to gunner, he will tell you the same thing.

The only thing you will need is a decent iron none of this crap pound shop rubbish and a solder sucker.

3 hours lmao, did you watch him do it, was this 2 hrs 45 watching eastenders omnibus, and 15 mins soldering the carrier in?

And while we are on the subject, yeah I have done it myself, not on my Williams the valver years back, no resin on that though, im guessing its the same resin that is on most pcb's, this can be cleaned off with a fibreglasss pencil at a cost of a fiver from http://www.maplin.co.uk/Free_UK_Deli...encil_3932.htm but to be honest most places who deal in PCB's will have some type of solution to get off the resin.

Wayne Schofield remapped my Williams, and he had the carrier in within minutes, albeit none of this resin you talk about? Although I could be lieing.

Forum User
    lies all lies rob! :P