Forum User

Gearbox Problems

My gearbox was changed in 2000 by renault at 61k.
    6 Years later on the car is now at 76k.

Since I have owned the car - there has always been a problem with 5th Gear Popping out. It had a tendency to pop out again and again - after it had popped out once. This I thought was due to the dogbone mount and therefore got one from Hill Power.

Well, today I had my first motorway drive since I had the Dogbone done and after about 15miles in 5th gear it popped out. So i drove in 4th for sometime and then put it bk in 5th and all seemed not too bad.

Then on my way home - 5th Gear Kept popping out so i decided to drive most of my 50 mile journey in 4th. Then as I was on a dual carriageway I thought I would try 5th gear again. As i Had the clutch down and the 5th gear selected i could feel something in the gearstick and then after i also felt the gear engage. Again shortly after it popped out.

So tried selecting 5th again a little while after - Upon doing this all the 5th gear did was crunch and whine - and ultimately due to myself trying to select it got stuck in 5th gear with no drive what so ever. After a bit of jiggling with the Gear lever I managed to get out of 5th and select 4th gear. Now the 5th Gear will not engage at all.

I must add - although I cannot select 5th Gear - all other gears (including reverse) are perfect in their operation and have never caused any problem what so ever.

I am trying to work out what exactly is wrong - and the most probable solutions.

Any help will be much appreciated.

when i bought my Williams it popped out of 5th on the drive home
    it lasted about a month then i lost more gears
    i was thrashing it through the gears when it finally went tho
    it might have lasted a lot longer ?

Sounds like the synchro on 5th has ****ed. Thought it was usually 3rd that went first.

Try draining the gear oil and seeing what condition it's in, if it has any metal shards etc etc

Forum User

Yeh it would seem as though the synchro in 5th has gone - either that or a problem with the actual gear selector.

I know I cannot confirm the state of the 5th synchro at the moment - but when trying to put it into gear and how it felt just before it went - it 'feels' as though the 5th gear is not lying perpendicular to its cylindrical axis any more. Feels dislodged. I thought someone might have experienced the same situation before.

Also, if anyone has any ideas in regards to getting the box rebuilt or just purchasing another one - I have no idea of price comparisons etc etc - any advice much appreciated.

Have you tried double de-clutching into 5th see if it will go in?

Matt

Forum User

Double Declutching!

Have Not tried double declutching as of yet - would give this a try but dont want to destroy the clutch as well as the gearbox

In total honesty - 5th Feels like it no longer spins - as mentioned before - i think it no longer resides properly on its cylindrical axis.