Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clutch

Forum User

Clutch

Anyone any ideas what the average mileage for a willy clutch is?
    My pedal is really stiff and gives pins an needles in my foot over a period The clutch cable snapped a couple of days ago, presumable because the clutch is getting stiffer and stiffer.

Anyone had any quotes for a clutch change? I am just after labour really since i have an uprated kit already.
    Rough price so i know what would be cheap and what wouldnt be!

Also, has anyone changed one by dropping the subframe rather than taking the engine out compeltely?

N/W Rep & Club Events Co-Ordinator GazTwo's Avatar
    Mate all Renault clutches have a heavy pedal....don't notice it myself as I've had 5's and Clio's for years....people who get in mine always comment on how stiff the Clutch is.....so may not be a problem....is it slipping???

Also check the cable is routed correctly and doesnt have any tight bends in it.

Forum User
    Well i know they are very wodden and stiff but cables have started to snap and it might start to get worse.. Im on 3rd cable and with a new plastic pedal cam as well and its still happening. Its not slipping as such at the moment, it feels fine but it does seem to have gotten stiffer over time, since i first got the car.
    Everyone comments on how heavy the pedal is, i know that and love the way the pedal is because i think it give a better feel to it.

Just wondering if 77k on the original clutch is normal? Drive quite hard tho, as all of the willys about ;)

Yep the first clutch cable I had fitted to my 5 snapped pretty quick cause it was found to have been routed incorrect...second one was fitted correctly and never had a problem again.

Forum User
    The original cable seemed to be the original one on the car and was routed correctly. We followed the routing in the same way when it was removed and made sure there was no tight bends since i know its a bitch to sort again! Then it snapped again :(

Sounds liked it's routed incorrect mate.

Forum User
    Probably!
    Will have to see how it goes, is it true that because of the cam assembly on the pedal the bite will always remain roughly the same, even when the clutch is on its way out. Is the only way to tell if its going is if its slipping?

Not sure on that mate...

90k is about what they get unusable at.

Mine had done 94k.. and it was well worn on the friction material.. right down to the rivets in some bits but not slipping; was well stiff tho, but that's cus' something or another had stopped moving or something.. hehe.

New standard clutch now feels well nice though.. hehe.