Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oversteer or understeer??

Had a real scary moment last night.....

It was wet, I went into a corner too fast, car went into oversteer and the back end stepped out. Under normal circumstances it wouldnt have been such a big deal, but at the precise moment the back end came out a car came hurtling towards me and the road was narrow!!

Luckily I managed to correct it just in time and keep my foot down to pull it straight. It was soooo close tho, a second or so later and I would of def hit the oncoming car. Luckily quick reactions prevailed and saved my skin.
    It was one of those moments when your arms lock up to brace for the impact!!

After the said incident my young kiddy (18yr) bro and I spent a lengthy debate on which do you prefer, oversteer or understeer as he was not far behind me when this happened and saw it. So I thought I'd bring the debate to the forum,

Personally I prefer oversteer, as you still have control and have half a chance of correcting it to bring it back in. Plus its fun on big (empty) roundabouts!!

He prefered understeer and couldnt understand how I said you can still have control in oversteer. I tried to educate the young un, but they never listen.

Which do you guys prefer????

i dont prefer any tbh in a clio....But oversteer is ace in rear wheel drive cars.

J o n
    as above, neither, prefer it to be neutral and just keep turning in lol... if I was to sway one way though then oversteer when I expect it, but unexpected then understeer everytime

Try as I might, mine will never go side ways without the handbrake. Just gets twitchy at worse, suppose its a good thing.
    Then again, 75 stumbling french horses probably isnt enough to brake traction (Yoko tyres). :P

For the Williams, my fave is neutral handling with grippy front tyres to throttle induce oversteer (and recover) when needed.

^^^defo as above^^^

The back end rarely comes out on my car, and is usually enduced by me.

This time however it happened with no warning, my own fault with it being wet tho I suppose. The eagle F1's have always been good for me in the wet. Must have been wetter than I thought tho!!

LOL

understeer is more predictable, so hence easier to correct. defo not what you want going into a fast corner though.

oversteer can be fun, but can snap and end in tears.

each car is different, and different setups make each effect different.

As has been said above - neither in large quantities please! A hint of oversteer is much better for the track, but on the round a bit of safe understeer is good. That's why the Williams - and some other hot hatches - are so much better than others...they do both

hope this isnt another case like ur brakes not being good enuff to be locked up....u jus not tryin hard enuff yung man ;)

In a clio ....None!!!! I like grip :P

Was dry but well slippy last night .....Oversteer sideways city