Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shocks - MOT pass???

I've got the MOT for the 1.4 tomorrow and was checking it over earlier but noticed a slight leak from the front shock absorbers. You can see some pictures HERE.

Do you reckon they would be OK to pass, or could they be failed?

I've had a look through some stuff online which says it can be failed for "A fluid leakage serious enough to indicate that the fluid seal of a shock
    absorber has failed." but I'm not sure what would be classified as a serious leak.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated as I don't want to waste £44 putting it through it's MOT if it'll fail on this.

Thanks.

doesn't look that bad from the pics, you could probably just clean them up before the MOT to pass it and then replace them when you have time/cash

thanks mate. I thought of that but then thought if I miss a bit and it's obvious it's been cleaned then it might look a bit more suspicious. TBH they aren't too bad when driving, but I just don't want to throw away £44 for the MOT, if it's going to fail on them anyway.

Anyone else got an opinion?

why take the risk? just replace them, they arent expensive from gsf, just tell the garage to get them and fit them, saving you hassle of a re-test

I spoke to the garage earlier and they said they would have a quick look at them for me before the test and tell me if they would fail or not. That way if it'll pass then I can get it passed (hopefully as long as nothing else is wrong) tomorrow, but if they say it's a fail I'll fit some new ones and get the MOT later. I will be replacing them at some point anyway, but really need a car at the moment so need to get this MOT'd.

Just heard back from the garage. The car failed on the anti-roll bar link or something like that, the shocks passed OK. After asking him though he said it would be about £40 labour for the anti-roll bar link so, bearing in mind a re-test would cost me £44 anyway I'm just getting him to replace them - saves me a bit of work but it's an unwanted expense.

£40 labour for an anti roll bar link he's pulling your pants down on that one! its a 2 minute job! especially if its the outer bushes, inners may take a little longer but **** me £40 it better include the part and one of the damper legs!

You can take it back for a free retest within a certain time limit.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Rich
    £40 labour for an anti roll bar link he's pulling your pants down on that one! its a 2 minute job! especially if its the outer bushes, inners may take a little longer but f**k me £40 it better include the part and one of the damper legs!
    Who knows mate, but I don't have much choice because if I take it away from the garage I would have to pay for a re-test to get the MOT.

Quote Originally Posted by clowo16v
    You can take it back for a free retest within a certain time limit.

Matt
    Apparently thats only on certain items that you get 24hrs on though, and this isn't one of those items :(