Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum User

Willy/16v rear suspension

On the tech sheet on this site it says that the williams has uprated suspension front and rear over the 16v.
    I have been told by quite a few sources that the willy has the same set up on the rear as the 16v and that it is only the front that is different. i.e. wider track and different damper settings.

Can somebody shed any light on this?

Banned
    Think it has different shocks to be honest

Yeah,
    Shocks are different.

Mat.

is there any way to widen the track on the rear (spacers?)? would this improve handling?

was looking at my willy earlier and its noticeable that the rear wheels sit more inside the wheel arches.

Dont quote me on this, but I understand the torsion bar is slightly stiffer also.

As for improving the handling? The grippier you make the rear, the more it will understeer. I have always thought that Renault got the balance of the car completely perfect as standard. And I mean completely perfect, I dont think I have driven any car down a bumpy b-road that is as talented all round as a Williams. You can include Evo's and Scoobs in the equation as well.

To be honest my car is much less user friendly than a standard Williams and probably slightly less well balanced, but its just how I like the car to be. As long as the front grips at all times, the rear will catch up eventually.

Ive got ET28 wheels on the back.....spaces them out 9mm, still no way near as wide as the front.

Forum User
    Mark's right - the rear torsion bar is something like 30% stiffer i think on the williams

Rear track on a Williams is the same as a 16v, but wider than an RT/RSi etc..

And as Mark says, there isn't any need to widen the rear track..

Forum User
    Quote Originally Posted by Daz
    Rear track on a Williams is the same as a 16v, but wider than an RT/RSi etc..

And as Mark says, there isn't any need to widen the rear track..
    Is it really wider than an RT/RSI though?!

Reason i say this is that the front track of a 16v is the same as a non-16v...and the back is the same width in both cases. Given this, i really don't see how the rear beam would be wider...stiffer yes but not wider...i think its just the arches confusing things again isn't it? I've certainly never seen/heard anything to prove different...

IIRC there is a slight increase in rear track on willys, but that's from the offset of the speedlines.