Thread: Clutch trouble

Forum User

Clutch trouble

Over the last week or so, the clutch peddle seems to be notchy at times. It changes gear fine, but sometimes when you press the clutch down, it goes a bit stiff, then there's a click (sounds like when a clutch cable snaps), and the pedal goes down properly. Is this likely to be the plastic quadrant? The cars had a new genuine Renault clutch and cable within about the last 4k miles, so that should all be ok.

It did it as i was driving this morning (i've only noticed it before when stationary), but i was changing from 3rd to 4th, pressed the clutch, load cracking sound, then the pedal went down but i couldn't select any gear. Then when i stopped and tried again, seemed fine. In fact, seems better now than normal.

Any ideas?

Mine did that - a click..
    A few yards down the road, multiple clicks..
    Few more.. the cable snapped.

Not a great thing to happen..

On the other hand, it could be the adjuster clicking? Mine was more of a "ping".. but then, my clutch was stupidly stiff.

I'd say yours was probably the adjuster (can't remember the proper name). If you get lots of clicks and still have a cable, I'd say it wasn't the cable snapping.

sounds like the adjuster mate....pedal assy is about £15 from reno or summat...cheap enuff.....jus a bit of a bugger to do

Forum User
    New clutch pedal assembly fitted now, all is well again, cheers for the advice

ive just fitted new clutch cable and im having a shitter of a time selecting 1st, 2nd and reverse gears.

think its worth a new pedal? they are 15quid or seomthing?

Yeh, its probably the plastice cam gear worn on the pedal. Piece of shit design if you ask me. Cant remember how many times I have changed mine.

Would this be why, sometimes, my pedal drops an inch after clicking? It's done this for 12months now but it works fine otherwise.

Almost definitely yes.

Likely to break at any time you reckon?